Policy & Politics Conference on Democracy, Inequality & Power
Plenary Speakers: Professor Danny Dorling (University of Oxford, UK), Professor Andrew Gamble (University of Cambridge, UK), Professor Mark Purcell (University of Washington, US) Professor Kate Pickett (University of York, UK)
Marriott Royal Hotel, College Green, Bristol
The 800th anniversary of Magna Carta in 2015 provides an opportunity to reflect on both the failures and successes of democratic policy and politics in the UK and abroad. The relationship between democracy, inequality and power has been brought to the fore by recent global events, including:
• austerity politics and the disproportionate impacts on society’s most vulnerable,
• increased awareness of disparities in relation to electoral and political participation amongst a range of social groups (leading to concerns about ‘a divided democracy’),
• the reshaping of the relationship between government, business and civil society,
• rising ‘urbanisation’ and associated concerns about the governance of place, space and territory,
• developments in information and communication technology and its impact on citizens’ engagement with politics and public services,
• civic unrest linked to demands for democracy, equality and transparent government,
• human rights initiatives around gender, age, race, disability and sexuality, and
• a reconfiguration of the role of the mass media and social media in policy and politics.
Within this global context, the concepts of democracy, inequality and power and their relationship to policy and politics remain pertinent. The 2015 Policy & Politics conference will therefore be based around the theme of ‘Democracy, Inequality and Power’ and welcomes practitioners and scholars from any field and discipline from around the world to engage with this topic.
Noemi Lendvai & Sarah Ayres, University of Bristol Matthew Flinders, University of Sheffield.
For academic enquiries please email email@example.com
Sarah Brown, University of Bristol.
For conference enquiries relating to bookings, venue, travel details and timetable please email firstname.lastname@example.org