Publications and Conference Papers
Note: some of the documents on this page are in PDF format. In order to view a PDF you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader
Bradley, H. and Ingram, N. (2013) ‘Banking on the Future: choices, aspirations and economic hardship in working-class student experience’ in Atkinson, W., Roberts, S. and Savage, M. (eds) Class Inequality in Austerity Britain, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
Abrahams, J. and Ingram, N. (2013) ‘The Chameleon Habitus: Local students’ negotiations of a multiple fields', Sociological Review Online, [forthcoming]
Bathmaker, A-M., Ingram, N. and Waller, R. (2013) 'Higher education, social class and the mobilisation of capitals', provisionally accepted for the British Journal Sociology of Education, special on education and social mobility.
Bradley, H. and Abrahams, J.(2013) ‘Fractured Femininities: Female undergraduates’ attitudes to gender roles’. Sociology, [under review]
Beedell, (2013) Students’ Discourses on Career and Family: Unequal Egalitarianism Revisited’(Journal tbc)
Bradley, H. and Bathmaker, A-M. (2012) 'Unequal peers: the impact of class on student budget management at university', (Journal Tbc)
Bradley, H. and Mellor, J. (2012) ‘Pathways to success? The influence of class on transitions into higher education’, Sociological Review.
Mellor, J., Waller, R. and Hoare, A. (2012) ‘UK university students and paid work’, Work, Employment and Society (Tbc).
Hoare, T., Ingram, N. and Mellor, J. (2010) 'The University's Widening Participation Research Cluster: whatever is it up to now?' presentation at the University of Bristol Human Geography seminar series.
Ingram, N. (2012) ‘Aspiration and realisation: the educational and career trajectories of working-class and middle class students in Bristol’, Key Note Lecture [invited], BSA PG Conference on social class and aspiration, London. (PDF, 185kB)
- The British Educational Studies Association (BESA) Conference in Hull, on 28-29 June 2012 (by Dr. Richard Waller)
- The British Educational Research Association (BERA) Conference in Manchester, UK, on 4-6 September 2012 (by Dr. Nicola Ingram)
- The European Conference on Educational Research in Cadiz, Spain on 18-21 September 2012 (by Professor Ann-Marie Bathmaker)
Ingram, N. (2012) ‘Gaining an advantage through education?: Social class and student experiences of higher education at an elite and a non-elite university in one UK city’, How Class Works Conference, Stonybrook, New York. (PDF, 236kB)
Bradley, H and Waller, R. (2012) ‘Social class, resilience and the struggle to adjust to university life: Comparing the experiences of working- and middle-class students’,
- Social Science in the City seminar series, Bristol, November 2012. (Presented by Richard Waller and Harriet Bradley)
- Centre for Analysis of Policy (CASP) Workshop: Young People's classed and gendered aspirations and employment transitions, University of Bath, (presented by Richard Waller)
Bradley, H. (2013) ‘Fractured Femininities: Female undergraduates’ aspirations’, Workshop: Young People's classed and gendered aspirations and employment transitions, University of Bath, January 2013.
Bathmaker, A.M. (2013) Narratives of student life: a gendered and classed experience. Paper presented at the University of Central Lancashire on 21 February 2013.
Bathmaker, A.M. (2013) The right university or the right social background? Class, gender and social mobility through higher education. Paper presented at the Higher Education Academy Conference on Higher Education and Social Mobility in Manchester on 26-27 March 2013.
Classed and gendered identities and behaviours in HE: Middle-class male performances, fractured femininities, and strategizing potential parents (symposium presented at the British Sociological Association, London: April 2013):
- Waller, R. and Ingram, I. (2013) ‘Degrees of Masculinity: Higher education and the development and performance of middle-class gendered identities’
- Bradley, H. and Abrahams, J. (2013) ‘Fractured Femininities: Female undergraduates’ aspirations’.
- Beedell, (2013) Students’ Discourses on Career and Family: Unequal Egalitarianism Revisited’
Abrahams, J (2013) ‘The Chameleon Self’: Local students’ negotiations of a cleft habitus’, BSA conference, London
Bathmaker, A. M. and Ingram, N. (2013) ‘Not the place for a person like me: on being middle-class at a post-1992 university in England’, BSA conference, London