Senior Lecturer in Biblical Interpretation
BA (Sheffield), MA (Sheffield), PhD (Sheffield)
Phone: 0117 954 5930
Fax: 0117 331 7933
John Lyons was born in Sheffield in 1966. He completed his BA in the Department of Biblical Studies at the University of Sheffield in 1994. An MA in Biblical Studies was completed in 1995, before doctoral research was undertaken on the practical effects of the canonical approach of Brevard Childs when applied to the Sodom Narrative (Genesis 18-19). He completed his PhD in 1999, taught briefly in Sheffield before being appointed Lecturer in New Testament at the University of Bristol.
His main research interests are in the area of Biblical Interpretation, especially in the areas of Biblical Theology and the History of Exegesis. He has worked on a variety of texts in the Hebrew Bible, Dead Sea Scrolls, and in the New Testament.
Full C.V. (pdf 128 kb)
Full Publication List, with Links (pdf 112 kb)
Contributions to edited books:
- 'The Apocalypse According to Johnny Cash: Examining the 'Effect' of the Book of Revelation on a Contemporary Apocalyptic Writer', in W.J. Lyons and J. Økland (eds), The Way the World Ends? The Apocalypse of John in Culture and Ideology (Sheffield: Sheffield Phoenix Press, 2009), 95-122.
- 'An Unauthorised Version': The Temple Scroll in Narratological Perspective', in J.G. Campbell, L.K. Pietersen, and W.J. Lyons (eds), New Directions in Qumran Studies: Proceedings from the Bristol Colloquium on the Dead Sea Scrolls, 8-10th September 2003 (London: Trinity Press International, 2005), 126-148.
- 'The Apocalypse of John and Its Mediators, or Why Johnny Cash Wrote a Better Apocalypse than John of Patmos!', The SBL Forum, 2009
- 'A Prophet is Rejected in His Home Town (Mark 6.4 and parallels): A Study in the Methodological (In)Consistency of the Jesus Seminar', Journal for the Study of the Historical Jesus 6.1, (2008) 59-84.
- 'The Hermeneutics of Fictional Black and Factual Red: The Markan Simon of Cyrene and the Quest for the Historical Jesus' (pdf 131 KB), Journal for the Study of the Historical Jesus 4.2, (2006) 139-54.
- " 'Outing' Qoheleth: On the Search for Homosexuality in the Wisdom Tradition" (pdf 287 KB), Theology and Sexuality, 12.2, (2006) 181-202.
- 'On the Life and Death of Joseph of Arimathea' (pdf 162 KB), Journal for the Study of the Historical Jesus 2 (2004), 29-53.