Lecturer in Theology and Religious Studies
BS (James Madison), MDiv, ThM (Reformed Seminary), PhD (Edinburgh)
Phone: 0117 928 7844
Fax: 0117 331 7933
Jon Balserak was born in Washington D.C. and studied in the U.S. and U.K., completing his Ph.D. at University of Edinburgh in History under the late Professor David F. Wright. He worked as a research fellow on the Verbum Project at University of Birmingham before coming to the University of Bristol in September 2008. Jon is currently on research leave until September 2012, at the University of Pennsylvania.
- History of France, from the middle ages to the 16th century;
- The Renaissance
- Prophecy in the Christian tradition from the middle ages to the Enlightenment;
- Neo-Latin theological/intellectual discourse;
- Individuals: Anselm, Nicholas of Lyra, Erasmus, John Calvin, Peter Martyr Vermigli;
- History of interpretation of the Bible;
- Medieval manuscripts and textual studies;
- Medieval and Early Modern scientific discovery.
- John Calvin, French Humanist and Prophet. Forthcoming (OUP, 2013)
- Establishing the Remnant Church in France; Calvin's Lectures on the Minor Prophets, 1556-1559 in "Brill's Series on Church History". (Leiden: Brill, 2011)
- Divinity Compromised; A Study of Divine Accommodation in the Thought of John Calvin in Kluwer's "Studies in Early Modern Religious Reforms" series (series ed. Irena Backus), (Springer: Dordrecht, 2006)
- Vetus Latina Iohannes; The Old Latin Manuscripts of John's Gospel (Beuron: Institut-Vetus Latina); co-edited with David Parker, Philip Burton, and Hugh Houghton. Forthcoming (2009)
- Calvinus Evangelii Propugnator; Calvin, Champion of the Gospel, The 7th International Congress for Calvin Research papers, 25-29 August 1998 (Grand Rapids: Calvin Studies Society, 2006); co-edited with D.F. Wright and A.N.S. Lane
Articles and Book Chapters
Entries in Encyclopaedia of Neo-Latin Studies. Eds Philip Ford, Charles Fantazzi and Arjan van Dijk. Brill, 2013:
- “Theological discourse”
- “Commentaries on the Bible and Patristics”
- "France: the sixteenth century"
- "France: later centuries"
- “‘We need Teachers today, not Prophets;’ Peter Martyr Vermigli’s Exposition of Prophecy” in Archiv für Reformationsgeschichte, 2012 (Fall).
- 'Peter Martyr Vermigli as an interpreter of 1 Corinthians' in Companion to Peter Martyr Vermigli; Papers from the Third International Conference of the Peter Martyr Society, 8-10 August 2007 (Leiden: Brill). Forthcoming (2009)
- 'The Authority of Scripture and Tradition in Calvin's Lectures on the Minor Prophet' in The Search For Authority in the European Reformation (University of Manchester Press). Forthcoming (2009)
- Entries in the Calvin Handbuch to be published in a Dutch, an English (Eerdmans), a German (Mohr) and an Italian Edition. Forthcoming (2008).
- 'Calvin's concept of accommodation'
- 'Calvin and Science' (co-written with D.F. Wright)