Research is a core part of the university of Bristol’s business, yet there was no single system in the University that provided a complete view of the research work being carried out. We therefore required a sophisticated system that would enable us to collect, organise and integrate data about our research activity and performance. A project was established to procure and implement a research information system for the University.
- Letter about enhancing your Pure portfolio to all academic staff (PDF, 0.1MB) from Professor Guy Orpen, Pro Vice-Chancellor, May 2014
- Letter about Pure and Explore Bristol Research to all academic staff (PDF, 0.4MB) from Professor Guy Orpen, Pro Vice-Chancellor, July 2013
- Letter about Pure to all academic staff (PDF, 0.9MB) from Professor Guy Orpen, Pro Vice-Chancellor, April 2012
- Letter announcing Pure launch (PDF, 0.4MB) from Professor Guy Orpen, Pro Vice-Chancellor, August 2012
The project team gathered requirements for a research information system from a wide range of potential users. After going through an EU procurement process, it was agreed that the commercial system Pure offered the best fit to the University's requirements. Pure (PUblications and REsearch) is supplied by the Danish company Atira and is already used by many UK and EU universities, including a number of Russell Group institutions, for example University of London, Royal Holloway, Lancaster University, University of St Andrews.
More about Pure
- Pure supports the collection of research information not previously collected in University systems. This includes esteem indicators, research groupings and research keywords.
- The systems IRIS (the on-line database of the University's publications) and ROSE (Repository Of Scholarly Eprints, providing open access to academic full texts written by members of the University of Bristol) were replaced and the systems' records were transferred into Pure.
- Pure has a REF module which the University of Bristol will use to develop its full submission for REF2014.
- Pure includes a reporting functionality allowing designated staff to create and access reports for their school or faculty. If you have access to the Pure reporting module this reporting tab will be displayed when you log in. See reporting FAQ
Pure integrates research information drawing from a range of existing University systems:
- HR Information Management System (PIMS)
- Strategic Information Technology Services, or student records stem (SITS)
- Finance database (CODA)
- Online Management of Research Contracts and Awards (ORCA)
- For further information about the data, view a visual representation of the data-in, data-out model (PDF, 0.5MB)
- The system is user-friendly and intuitive
Note: some of the documents on this page are in PDF format. In order to view a PDF you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader