These pages are for GP teachers. If you are interested in studying medicine at Bristol, please see details of our MB ChB Medicine course.
Human Basis of Medicine course and Primary / Secondary Interface
Primary care contributes to year one through an introductory lecture and tutorial followed by eight consecutive afternoon sessions in General Practice. We also play a key role in the Whole Person Care element of the Human Basis of Medicine Unit
To gain appreciation of the scope and nature of primary health care through meeting health care professionals and patients
By the end of your attachment you should have:
- Made home visits and listened to and reflected upon patients' illness stories and health care. Your understanding and interpretation will be assessed in your assignment.
- Observed the GP consult with a variety of patients and have some understanding of the skills that contribute to good verbal and non-verbal communication
- Applied theoretical learning from other Human Basis of Medicine elements and from this handbook to clinical practice
See Blackboard for a collection of inspiring student assignments and creative pieces (art, poetry, song, dance).
- Year 1 Intro to GP student handbook 2016-17
- A101 2in1 Student Handbook 2016-17 (PDF, 547kB)
- Year 1 GP Teacher Guide 2016-17 (PDF, 1,588kB)
- Year 1 Attendance & Payment form SH 2016-17 (PDF, 282kB)
- Student Concern Form (Office document, 61kB)
- Attendance Concern Form (Office document, 33kB)
- Year 1 brief course overview 2016-17 (PDF, 130kB) (taken from GP Teacher Guide, page 9)
- Year 1 patient consent letter 2016-17 (PDF, 283kB) (Appendix 3 of GP Teacher Guide)
- Year 1 workshop reports Workshop reports can be downloaded from this link