Parents and carers
We understand that parents and carers will want to be supportive when prospective students are making their higher education choices. Visiting universities on open days is an important step in helping your child to decide where to study.
The welcome talk for parents and carers is designed to provide you with a better understanding of the support the University provides and how we can work with you to help prepare your son or daughter for the transition to university. If you want to attend this 30-minute talk you will need to book a place.
After you have made an open day booking, you should receive an email with a booking confirmation letter attached, listing any subject or welcome talks that you have booked. If you book a place on the parents and carers talk, the email will have a second letter attached confirming your place on this talk.
Tips for parents and carers
Before the day
- Talk to your son or daughter about why they want to study a particular subject and what they are looking for in a university. Encourage them to think about questions they might want to ask.
- Bristol is a beautiful city and the University is right at the heart of it. If possible, plan some time to explore.
- Have a look at our parents and carers factsheet (PDF, 294kB).
- Print and bring with you: your booking confirmation letter for the open day, and - if you have booked a place on this talk - your parents and carers talk booking letter.
On the day
- Encourage your son or daughter to ask questions for themselves.
- Be supportive if your son or daughter wishes to attend all or part of an open day on their own. This is a good chance for them to act independently – and good practice for student life.
- Our open days are busy; we try to minimise delays, but please be prepared to queue in some instances.
Booking for 2017 open days
You can now book online for our June open days.
You can book for our open day on 9 September from 9 am on Wednesday 26 July.
Copies of the undergraduate prospectus and course leaflets will be available at the Welcome stand in the open day exhibition.