Metaphysics of Science Workshop
Themes in the Metaphysics of Chemistry and Biology
supported by the AHRC and the Institute for Advanced Studies at the University of Bristol
Monday 23rd, Tuesday 24th and Wednesday 25th June 2008
The Institute for Advanced Studies at the University of Bristol
Conveners: Alexander Bird & Emma Tobin
For further details e-mail: Emma.Tobin@bristol.ac.uk Tel: +44 (0)117 331 8022
MONDAY 23rd JUNE:
- 14:30 Arrival, Check-in
- 14:45 – 16:15 Marc Ereshefsky (Calgary) “Darwin’s Solution to the Species Problem ” Paper draft (pdf)
- 16:15 – 16:45 Coffee
Plenary Session: Evolution and Causation
- 19:30 Conference Dinner at 2 Rooms, 112 Princess Victoria Street, Clifton, Bristol BS8 4DB.
TUESDAY 24th JUNE:
Wednesday 25th June
- 09:15 – 10:00 Markus Schrenk (Nottingham) “A Lewisean Theory for Special Science Laws” Paper Abstract
- 10:00 – 10:30 Coffee Break
- 10:30 – 12:00 Jaap van Brakel (Leuven) “Anomalous Anomalous Monism and the many sides of Chemistry” Paper Abstract
- 12:00 – 13:00 LUNCH
- 13:00 – 14:00 Postgraduate/Student Seminar with Paul Needham (Stockholm) "What Explanatory Role did Atomism Play in 19th Century Chemistry?" in the Philosophy Common Room, 9 Woodland Road.
Speakers will be staying at: The Clifton Hotel
We cannot organise accommodation for non-speakers, but would recommend the following:
The Clifton Hotels (Berkeley,
Rodney, Clifton, Washington)
The Westbourne Hotel
Alternatively, these sites might be useful:
and Breakfast Bristol
The AA (put 'BS8 1TB' in the location box)
There is no registration fee. However, places are limited. Please contact Emma.Tobin@bristol.ac.uk to reserve a place. Guests will have to organize their own accommodation and lunch.
Arrival and Departure
The workshop will take place at the Institute for Advanced Studies in Royal Fort House (no 30 on the map of the university precinct.)
For information about how to get to the university precinct, please consult http://www.bris.ac.uk/university/maps/.
A workshop map detailing the relevant locations for the workshop is available here.