metaphysics of science
an AHRC funded research project
Core Researchers - Work in Progress
Nature’s Metaphysics: Laws and Properties Book; completed May 2007; due to be published with Oxford University Press July 2007.
“The Regress of Pure Powers” Article; completed and submitted November 2006; accepted by Philosophical Quarterly January 2007; forthcoming September 2007. Also winner Philosophical Quarterly Essay Prize 2006.
“Dispositions, Rules, and Finks” Article (co-authored with Toby Handfield, Monash University); completed and submitted May 2007; accepted by Philosophical Studies June 2007.
“Structural Properties Revisited” Article; completed December 2006; forthcoming in T. Handfield (ed.) Dispositions and Causes Oxford University Press.
“Natural Kinds” Article (co-authored with Emma Tobin); completion due September 2007; commissioned for Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
“Lowe on A Posteriori Essentialism” Article; work in progress.
“A Posteriori Knowledge of Necessity and Essence” Article; work in progress. Given as talk at workshops in Lund (5 June 2007) and Trondhiem (15 June 2007).
- “Causation, Pluralism and Responsibility”, forthcoming in Philosophica (2007).
- Review of Carlos E. Garcia’s “Popper's Theory of Science: An Apologia”, forthcoming in Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews.
- Review of “Thinking About Causes” (eds. Machamer and Wolters), forthcoming in Metascience.
To be Submitted/In Preparation
- “True Causes and the Uniformity of Nature: The Historical Foundations of the Earth Sciences.” To be submitted to Studies in History and Philosophy of Science.
- Four papers from Ph.D. Dissertation:
- a. “Causation is not Conditional Counterfactual Dependence.” To be submitted to Philosophical Studies.
- b. “Causation, Counterfactual Dependence and Default Events.”
- c. “Pluralistic Theories of Causation: A Critique”
- d. “Causation as a Cluster Concept.”
- “How to Define Folk Concepts” with A. Scarantino (Georgia State University) on descriptive semantic analysis of vague/polysemous concepts. Examples taken from causation and emotions literatures.
- “Explication of Theoretical Terms” with A. Scarantino on evaluation criteria for revisionary analysis. Examples taken from causation and emotions literatures.
- “Genetic Classification in the Earth Sciences” for conference volume Nature and its Classification.
- “Nature and its Classification” (eds. H. Beebee, N. Leary, F. Longworth). Edited anthology in association with AHRC-funded conference “Nature and its Classification’, University of Birmingham.
- “Against Counterfactual Theories of Causation”. University of Exeter, Nov 2007.
- “Genetic Classification in the Earth Sciences” at the conference ‘Nature and its Classification”, University of Birmingham, Oct 2007.
- “Two Natural Kinds of Causation?” Joint Session of the Mind and Aristotelian Societies, Bristol, July 2007.
- Commentator on Jane Stapleton’s “Causation and the Law” at University of Birmingham Conference ‘Causation and the Law’, April 2007.
- Hosted workshop “Causation, Epidemiology and Modeling” at York University with S. Butterfill (University of Warwick), Feb 2007.
- “Pluralistic Theories of Causation”. University of Nottingham in Metaphysics of Science Workshop, Feb 2007.
- Appeared on science program “Conversations from Studio B” on NPR station WOUB (Ohio, USA), talking about philosophy of science and its relation to science. Jan 2007.
- “Pluralistic Theories of Causation” presented at Boston Colloquium for Philosophy of Science, Oct 2006.
- “Causation as a Polysemous Cluster Concept” presented at London School of Economics, Oct 2006.
“Natural Kinds & Symbiosis” Draft Article; Work-In-Progress. Comments Welcome
“Natural Kinds and Natural Necessities” Article; Work-in-Progress. Presented at the Metaphysics of Science Workshop on Natural Kinds in March 2007
“Structural Realism & The Metaphysics of Natural Kinds” Article; Work-In-Progress. Presented at the BSPS Annual Conference (July 2007) Abstract
“Natural Kinds, Causal Relata and Causal Relations” Article, Work-In-Progress. Presented at the Joint Session (July 2007) Abstract
“Natural Kinds“ Article (co-authored with Alexander Bird); completion due September 2007; commissioned for Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
Review of “The Software of the Universe” (by Mauro Dorato) Review; competion due September 2007; commissioned for International Studies in the Philosophy of Science