Writing a Qualitative Paper
Due to demand, this 1 day course will run twice:
11 December 2017.
26 June 2018.
1 day (approximately 6 hours teaching).
Registration will start at 9am and the course will finish by 5pm.
The course provides the practical tools and knowledge needed to write up qualitative research studies for publication. The focus will be on writing for publication in clinical journals, but many of the topics discussed will apply equally to writing qualitative research for any type of journal. The course will be a mixture of interactive lecture and workshop formats.
By the end of the course participants should be able to:
- understand the structure of a qualitative article;
- identify your key message/s and target journals;
- identify elements that are needed to construct the sections of a well-structured manuscript (your abstract, introduction, methods, findings/results and discussion);
- have a better understanding of how to present qualitative findings (results) clearly and within a tight word count;
- have identified some strategies to help you write.
Who the course is intended for
The course is suitable for people who have already completed or are well underway with their qualitative data collection and analysis. If you are not yet at that stage then it would be worth considering applying at a later stage.
The course will cover the following:
- understanding the structure of a qualitative article;
- identifying key messages and target journals;
- key elements of writing a Methods section;
- presenting qualitative research findings within a tight word count limit;
- writing an engaging Introduction;
- writing a good Discussion;
- some things to consider when writing an abstract;
- writing with clarity for a chosen audience;
- submitting to a journal;
- going through the peer review process.
Please identify one or two published articles that you think are good examples of the kinds of qualitative writing that you aspire to. Please bring these along with you to the course, as hard copies if possible.
June 2018 - FULLY BOOKED, waiting list in operation.
More information on course fees, fee waivers and reduced prices.
Bristol Medical School
39 Whatley Road
We provide morning and afternoon refreshment breaks, including tea and coffee, biscuits and fresh fruit.
If you have specific dietary needs we ask that you let us know in advance.
Lunch is not included. There are a range of local cafes and supermarkets nearby for students to purchase lunch.
Information about accommodation in the area.
Related short courses
For further information please email email@example.com.