Introduction to Stata
An online short course
This course aims to introduce the statistical software package Stata, including its use for data management and data exploration.
Please ensure you meet the following prerequisites before booking:
|Software||You must have Stata (version 14 or later)* installed in advance of the course. Please note that older versions may be OK, but you should recognise that older versions may have slightly different functionalities.
*Internal University of Bristol participants will be provided with access to Stata version 16 on the first day of the course.
We recommend the use of 2 screens if possible.
Sessions will be live with practical sessions throughout the course. The course will run 10-4 over 3 days.
- Find help about a given topic or command;
- explore a dataset in a number of ways;
- add labels to a dataset to make it self-documenting;
- recode variables and derive new variables from existing ones;
- reorganize and simplify a dataset and deal with missing values;
- input data from a variety of sources;
- combine two or more datasets;
- produce summary statistics, tables and graphs;
- keep a record of their work and ensure it is reproducible;
- deal with dates (optional).
Who the course is intended for
This course is intended for people who are just starting off managing data and conducting simple descriptive statistics.
This course will give an overview of basic Stata syntax to enable the user to manage and manipulate data and produce summary statistics and graphs.
Online Course Bookings
Bookings are open for online courses running in 2021.
Related short courses
Find out more
We may need to make responsive changes to our courses at short notice in order to follow the latest Public Health, Government and University guidance on coronavirus (COVID-19).