Join us as a visiting postgraduate student
We welcome visiting postgraduate students who would like to spend time with us.
If you are considering visiting us as a postgraduate student, you will normally be registered for postgraduate study in another institution.
Your planned visit to Bristol may, for example, be part of a collaboration, to learn about a specific technique or topic, or simply to gain some research experience in a different environment.
There are two ways you can visit Bristol Medical School either as a visiting student or as an occasional student:
- If you are interested in studying with us without gaining credit (ie a qualification or a contribution to a qualification you are currently registered for), you would be classed as a visiting student. A fee will be incurred for this type of study and should be agreed with the School prior to registration. The fee will vary depending on the study undertaken.
- If you are studying for credit you would be classed as an occasional student, and a fixed fee pro rata from the programme studied would be charged.
Either way, as a visiting postgraduate research student you will have access to University facilities, but will not be fully registered on any of our degree programmes.
If you are considering joining us as a visiting postgraduate student, you should first contact a potential supervisor.
It is important to discuss the following with the supervisor before entering into an agreement:
- Expectations – how long you will spend in Bristol, what research you will undertake, the methods you will learn, and what supervision you will receive.
- Cost – you should discuss the cost of your visit, which may vary depending on your mode of study, and your topic area. For example: Laboratory work will incur a higher cost than desk-based research.
- Visa – if you are an international student you will be required to comply with home office legislation. For further information on visa requirements please visit the student support pages.
- English language requirements – if you are an international student and require a tier 4 visa to study then a minimum IELTS score is required, for further information please contact the Health Sciences Faculty office firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Qualifications and references – before visiting, you will normally be expected to provide copies of relevant qualifications, and two academic references.
You must complete an online application.
There is currently no 'Visiting Student' option in the 'Programme Choice' section of the form, so you should select 'Faculty of Health Sciences' and then 'PhD Medicine', stating clearly in the 'Personal Statement' section that you will be a visiting student.
Please note the visiting student policy requires a letter of agreement between student and School. This should be drafted by your proposed supervisor, signed by you and your supervisor, and uploaded to the online application.