If you are undergoing hospital care, you may be asked if you would like to make a donation. We also take donations from healthy volunteers.
Donating tissue or blood to Bristol Biobank is a contribution to research. We are very grateful to all patients who consent to donate.
Consenting to donate samples - or refusing to donate - to Bristol Biobank will not affect routine care in any way. All patient details remain confidential.
For further information on what we do with patient donations, please read our patient donor information leaflets:
- Bristol Biobank Adult Patient information leaflet (PDF, 171kB)
- Bristol Biobank Child Patient information leaflet (PDF, 367kB)
Volunteering to donate
Healthy volunteers may also consent to give samples to Bristol Biobank. Volunteer samples are often highly sought after as 'healthy controls'. All samples and data are taken by trained staff.
For further information on what we do with volunteer donations, please read our volunteer donor information leaflets:
Confidentiality and data protection
- All information identifying you will be kept securely and will be held in the strictest confidence.
- All computer and paper records will be stored in accordance with the provisions of the Data Protection Act.
- No other researchers, companies or individuals either in the UK or abroad will have access to information which identifies you.
- Your samples will simply carry a code number, only the research team can trace the code back to you.
Licence and ethics approval
The Bristol Biobank is licensed by the Human Tissue Authority (licence number 12512) to store human tissue for research. It has ethics approval from Wales Research Ethics Committee 3 as a research tissue bank to collect and issue biomaterials for biomedical research across a range of therapeutic areas.
Bristol Biobank is a collaboration between the University of Bristol and University Hospitals Bristol NHS Trust, with funding from the David Telling Charitable Trust.
Bristol Royal Infirmary
Research Floor Level 7
Upper Maudlin Street
Bristol BS2 8HW
Tel: +44 (0)117 342 4946