Equality, diversity and inclusion
Bristol Medical School is committed to providing a positive working environment for all members of staff and students.
We believe the promotion of an environment that embraces diversity can enrich our working lives and help us deliver world class teaching and research.
We take pride in our fair employment practices, which include our work to tackle the historic unequal representation of individuals of different race, ethnicity and gender in research, teaching and clinical posts.
We actively foster diversity in many practical ways, through our support of:
- flexible working practices;
- mentoring activities;
- networks and schemes for those with caring roles.
Through regular consultation with staff and students about their experiences, we improve our practices further.
Athena SWAN awards
We are committed to celebrating every success within the school, and we work to highlight diverse role models that illustrate our commitment to supporting the career progression of women in science, among other examples of best practice.
Both the schools which came together to form Bristol Medical School held Athena SWAN Silver Awards, in recognition of the ongoing commitment to promote gender equality within the schools.
These awards reflect both schools' achievements in developing a positive working environment for all staff, and this commitment will be continued in the new Medical School.
Regular consultation with staff and students
Here are some of the ways feedback from staff and students has shaped and informed recent changes at the school:
- The school’s core hours have changed to 9.30 am to 3 pm to take account of those with caring responsibilities.
- We continue to communicate mentoring opportunities to staff.
- We created a checklist to assist reviewers and reviewees during staff review and development.
- The school now celebrates successes as 'good news' items in the school e-bulletin.
- We are further promoting social and research networking opportunities.
- Following a focus group discussion, we compiled a list of top tips for flexible working, one of many useful resources for staff.
- We hold regular human resources information sessions throughout the year, concerning:
- Maternity, paternity and adoption leave
- Promotion and progression
- The new HR Ordinances (University employment policies for line managers).
Equality, diversity and inclusion at the University
Updates from the University's Equality, Diversity and Inclusion team on Twitter.
Contacts and resources
For further information, please contact Dr Denize Atan, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Lead.
Details of our Athena SWAN Working Group and further resources.