To give students an opportunity to study an advanced topic of their choice over an extended period of time, working more or less independently, and to develop experience of report-writing and oral presentation.
There is a very wide range of topics available. Full details are given in the project handbook, available on Blackboard.
- How to independently research an advanced mathematical topic
- How to use the mathematical literature
- How to manage time over the length of the project
- How to write a report on the work that has been carried out
- How to give a technical presenatation
- How to synthesize more than one primary source, and/or construct examples beyond a principal source.
Self-directed study; library research and use of the mathematical literature; time management; report writing; oral presentation.
Unit code: MATH32200
Level of study: H/6
Credit points: 20
Teaching block (weeks): 1 and 2
Unit director: Professor Philip Welch
Depends on the project selected
Methods of teaching
Guidance from supervisor, leading to independent study with further discussion with supervisor as necessary. Skills training is provided early in teaching block 1; details are in the project handbook, available on Blackboard.
Methods of Assessment
The pass mark for this unit is 40.
The final mark is calculated as follows:
- 90% project report
- 10% presentation
Additional information on Projects can be found on the Project page of the Maths Intranet.
For information resit arrangements, please see the re-sit page on the intranet.
Further exam information can be found on the Maths Intranet.