Advice on Funding


We welcome applications at any time of year and all submitted PhD applications are automatically considered for school based funding during the admissions process, but early application is advised.  

For UK and EU applicants: EPSRC DTA

A common method of funding comes directly from the School, which receives partial funding from the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) for students undertaking PhD degrees, known as Doctoral Training Accounts (DTAs). These EPSRC studentships, normally available for a maximum period of three and a half years, are awarded on a competitive basis across the School of Mathematics, to students with relevant undergraduate degrees at the First Class level, or equivalent.  

For UK students, as well as EU students who have been resident in the UK for three years prior to application, an EPSRC studentship meets all the tuition fees and pays a maintenance allowance to the student. In 2018/19,  the value of this allowance is £14,777  which is a net amount and not subject to tax nor national insurance. Supplements may be available for disabled students, mature students, students with dependents and for students with suitable postgraduate work experience.

Students from EU countries who have not lived in the UK for three years may be considered for fees-only grants.

For UK Female applicants: Heilbronn Institute for Mathematical Research (HIMR)

The School of Mathematics invites applications for one or more PhD studentships in association with the Heilbronn Institute for Mathematical Research (HIMR). The School of Mathematics and HIMR are seeking to increase the representation of women at postgraduate and subsequently postdoctoral level, where the proportion of women is not currently in line with that of female top mathematics graduates. It is widely recognised that increasing the diversity of its students and staff has numerous benefits to the University, and it is of particular importance to HIMR. The School and HIMR will therefore only consider applications from suitably qualified female candidates (or those who self-identify as being female) for these studentships.

In addition to pursuing their PhD full-time for the remainder of the academic year, students will spend nine weeks each summer with HIMR, and during this time are expected to participate in classified research in areas of discrete mathematics or statistics. Students may choose a PhD thesis topic outside these areas. The (classified) summer component of the work will not form part of the student's PhD thesis.

Due to the nature of the Heilbronn Institute's work, candidates must satisfy vetting before appointment. UK resident UK nationals will normally be able to meet this condition: other potential applicants should consult the Heilbronn Manager about their eligibility before applying.

China Scholarship Council (CSC)

Fully funded PhD studenthips are available for those who are permanent residents of the People’s Republic of China at the time of application. Chinese students studying overseas may also be eligible. For more information see

Other sources of funding for overseas students

  • The British Council: Contact the British Council Office in your own country for details.
  • Commonwealth Scholarships: Offered to citizens of Commonwealth countries. Apply to the Commonwealth Scholarship Agency in your own country for details.
  • Marshall Scholarships: For American students wanting to study in the UK. These are very prestigious scholarships, and the University would typically provide matched funding. For further details, please check  the website.

Further information about funding opportunities for overseas students can be found on the University of Bristol  Student Funding webpage

Income from tutoring and marking

Postgraduate students may have an opportunity to supplement their income by giving first-year undergraduate tutorials and marking undergraduate work. As well as providing additional income, a student also gains useful transferable skills. We recommend that students only work up to 6 hours per week. Typically, as a rough guide, through these activities our students earn in the range of £1,600 to £2,000 per year tax-free. Overseas students would need to provide proof that they are allowed to work in the UK. The School organises training sessions for all students who undertake supervision or marking.

Edit this page