Your subject librarian
Tel: +44 (0)117 928 8984 | Internal 88984
Contact me if you would like some advice. I can help you to:
Key subject resources
- BIOSIS Citation Index - comprehensive database for the traditional areas of biology that combines content from the BIOSIS Previews database with fully indexed cited references from BIOSIS (from 2006) and content from all the Web of Science databases (prior to and post 2006).
- Compendex - comprehensive interdisciplinary engineering database.
- CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics - a searchable online version of the popular databook containing a wide range of scientific data. The link "Substance/Property Search" gives access to the powerful search facilities available whilst the "Text Search" is for basic text searching.
- Digimap - service delivering maps and map data to UK Higher Education, including the following: Digimap - Ordnance Survey Collection, Historic Digimap, Geology Digimap.
- INSPEC - bibliographic information from the world's literature on all aspects of Physics, electronics, control engineering and information technology.
- Web of Science: Core Collection - databases available within the Web of Science Core Collection: Science Citation Index (1900-, with 1900-1945 limited to c.250 core journals); Social sciences Citation Index (1956-); Arts and Humanities Citation Index (1975-); Arts and Humanities Citation Index (1975-); Conference Proceedings Citation Index - Science (1990-); Conference Proceedings Citation Index - Social Science & Humanities (1990-).
Skills and training
Your subject librarian will provide a programme of lectures and training on library and information skills, in consultation with your department or school.
A number of guides and video tutorials on searching databases will be available soon. In the meantime please contact your subject librarian if you require any help.
- Study support
- Library video tutorials - topics include: how to locate books and journals; understanding references on reading lists.
- Finding and using information - covering key aspects of information skills, including: researching a topic; effective use of Google; evaluating your search results; avoiding plagiarism.
- Referencing using EndNote
If there is a book you would like us to buy, please fill out the form.