- Your subject librarian
Contact me if you would like some advice. I can help you to:
Key subject resources
- CINAHL (Cumulative Index to Nursing & Allied Health) - provides authoritative coverage of the literature related to nursing and allied health, including indexes of virtually all English-language publications, from 1982 to date.
- Cochrane Library - Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews - systematic reviews of the effects of healthcare which includes the following databases: Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews,the Database of Abstracts of Reviews of Effectiveness ( DARE), Cochrane Controlled Trials Register, Cochrane Review Methodology, Health Technology Assessment (HTA) Database, NHS Economic Evaluation Database (NHS EED)
- Embase - provides access to the bibliographic Excerpta medica database and covers approximately 3,500 international journals from 110 countries, with Data going back to 1980.
- Medline (on OvidSP) - covers the international literature on bioMedicine, including the allied health fields and the biological and physical sciences, humanities, and information science as they relate to Medicine and health care.
- Scopus - large abstract and citation database of peer-reviewed literature, including: scientific journals, books and conference proceedings across the fields of science, technology, Medicine, social sciences, and arts and humanities.
- Web of Science: Core Collection - databases available within the Web of Science Core Collection: Science Citation Index (1900-, with 1900-1945 limited to c.250 core journals); Social sciences Citation Index (1956-); Arts and Humanities Citation Index (1975-); Arts and Humanities Citation Index (1975-); Conference Proceedings Citation Index - Science (1990-); Conference Proceedings Citation Index - Social Science & Humanities (1990-)
Skills and training
Your Subject Librarian will provide a programme of lectures and training on library and information skills, in consultation with your department or school.
A number of guides to searching key databases are available on Blackboard. Your Subject Librarian is also able to give help and advice about individual databases and searching in general.
- Practical advice about your studies
- Library video tutorials - topics include: how to locate books and journals; understanding references on reading lists.
- Finding and using information - covering key aspects of information skills, including: researching a topic; effective use of Google; evaluating your search results; avoiding plagiarism.
- Referencing using EndNote
If there is a book you would like us to buy, please fill out the form.