Inside an impressive mind: How to excel in your degree and job application
Reception Room, Wills Memorial Building, BS8 1RJ
Join us for a unique opportunity to understand how to achieve success in exams and increase your job prospects (whether in the Law or outside it).
The evening panel discussion will deconstruct what your tutors and employers consider makes an impressive mind, leaving you with practical advice and tips that you can implement immediately.
You will hear from four top prize winning law graduates who excelled here academically and in their early careers, discussing the key elements of their approach in Bristol that led to their success in securing top flight jobs. Their analysis of how to achieve excellence will be validated by two Law Professors on the panel and by a law firm partner (and alumnus) who has led recruitment within his organisation.
This event will cover amongst other things:
- What critical thinking is and why it is so important for success
- How developing good oral communication skills builds the confidence to excel
- How to prepare for and deliver an impressive interview
- How to maximise the impact of your Law School experience
- The importance of mental and physical wellbeing
Introduction from the organiser and sponsor: Daniel Schaffer, Chair of the Law School Advisory Board and partner Slaughter and May LLB 1986 BCL LLD
Chair: Professor Joanne Conaghan LLB BCL
Advice from top recent law graduates:
- Serena Crawshay-Williams LLB 2016 LLM, future pupil Old Square Chambers
- Tristan Goodman LLB 2017, trainee Slaughter and May
- Aaron Khan LLB 2010 LLM , tenant Brick Court Chambers
- Emma Loizou LLB 2014, BCL, pupil Radcliffe Chambers
Advice from senior professors in the Law School:
- Professor Michael Ford QC LLB, MA, BSc (employment QC of the year 2016)
- Professor Alan Bogg MA, BCL, DPhil (previously professor of law in Oxford)
Advice from a recruiter:
Robert Byk, partner Slaughter and May LLB 1996
This event is free but spaces are limited. Book your place via Eventbrite.
Doors open 5PM - no entry after 5:15PM.
The event will be followed by drinks 7-7:45PM
This event is sponsored by Slaughter and May.