Are you Innovative enough for these degrees?
Due to the fact that we are the only University in the UK offering these Innovation degrees we are aware that applicants will not be able to write much about innovation, creativity, design and/or entrepreneurship skills, experience or passion in their UCAS personal statement. As a result, candidates who progress to the second stage of the Innovations Admissions Process will be invited by email to complete an Innovations Pitch. This extra assessment is an opportunity for us to find out more about you and why want to join these unique innovation courses working with other disciplines to come up with innovative solutions to real world challenges.
Why do you feel you should be given a place to study your chosen subject specialism with Innovation - what makes you innovative?
We want you to respond to this question by highlighting any skills, experience and/or passion you might have for innovation, creativity, design and/or entrepreneurship. You might want to show us what you have created already, or describe why you want to apply your chosen subject specialism to innovation to make a difference and help to change the world.
Candidates can respond to this challenge in either two ways.
- Candidates can either write a specific innovation personal statement - you can write up to 1,000 words that shows you’d make a great innovation student – so it might take a few redrafts until you’re happy with it. You can either submit it as an attached word or pdf document in an email to us* (please do not write this directly as text in an email though only as an attachment). You may want to include images if you wish but we request that the personal statement does not exceed 6 pages.
- OR Candidates can video themselves pitching why they have the skills, experience and/or passion to be a great innovation student. Innovation pitch videos should not be longer than 3 minutes. Candidates should then place the video on an online accessible platform for us to view such as YouTube, Vimeo etc. and email us* to notify us of the URL where we can watch it. Be sure though that no copyrighted contents are in your video. *Remember you can always make your your video unlisted if you don’t want to make it publicly accessible. If you have made your video unlisted then only those that have been given that direct URL to your video will be able to watch it. We will only share your video URL with the academic team in order to make their assessment, we won't share it with anyone else without your permission. Due to the university’s system we are unable to accept invites to our email addresses to view youtube videos which have been set to private.
Candidates who have been contacted to complete this extra Innovations Pitch assessment must return it within 14 days. Please note that we are interested in assessing your ideas and response to a challenge, not your technical abilities. For example we aren't expecting HD videos recorded with specialist video cameras to be submitted - simply videoing yourself on your mobile phone, tablet or webcam will suffice as long as we can hear and see you clearly.
All materials submitted must include your full name, UCAS or Common Application number, the UCAS code and name for the Innovation course which you are applying to.
Submitted pitches will be scored and successful candidates will then be invited to a visit day.
For Anthropology, Film and Television, History, Music, Theatre with Innovation:
- Telephone: +44(0)1173941636
- Email: email@example.com
For Computer Science, Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Innovation:
- Telephone: +44(0)1173941640
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For Management with Innovation:
- Telephone: +44(0)1173941637
- Email: email@example.com
For Geography, Physics, Psychology with Innovation:
- Telephone: +44(0)1173941639
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
All materials submitted must include your full name, UCAS or Common Application number, the UCAS name and course code.