The History Society
The History Society works alongside the Department and our objective is to make your student experience the best it can be. We aim to organise as many events as possible to increase the opportunity for History students to meet new people and broaden their horizons.
These are just some examples of what we do and what you can get involved in as a member:
- Social Events- We arrange a wide variety of regular socials, from themed club nights, pub quizzes, post-deadline year group drinks/meals, a Christmas Ball and a Summer 3rd year Ball
- History Family- A very successful scheme of ours is the Parenting scheme. 2nd/ 3rd year students become ‘parents’ and are assigned a number of 1st year ‘children’. This is a great way to meet and become close with a small group of people from your year and older years. Families also give you the opportunity to gain academic advice from students who have been through it all!
- Trip Abroad- We have organised a Society trip to Dublin in the January Reading week. This is very popular amongst first years, and a great way to meet even more of your peers. It is also timed to be a well-deserved break at the end of your January exams!
- Academic Events- The Society aims to widen students’ historical and professional knowledge through academic events. We organise a range of interesting academic talks throughout the year, and also careers events, such as presentations by representatives from different companies, and networking events.
- Sports Teams- We plan to enter Society Netball and Football teams in the University Intramural League. These teams regularly train and have matches at the weekend, making them a really fun and social way to stay fit.