2016/17 reading group
Wednesday 2nd February 2017
Prompted by a question that came up at the Gender Question Time event last year, we thought it would be good to talk about the issues of consent and sexual harassment in academia. Readings are as follows:
- Jozkowski, K. N. (2015) '"Yes Means Yes"? Sexual Consent Policy and College Students', Change: The Magazine of Higher Learning, 47:2, 16-23.
- Sexual harassment of students by university staff hidden by non-disclosure agreements, The Guardian, 26th August 2016
- Scale of sexual abuse in UK universities likened to Saville and Catholic scandals, The Guardian, 7th October 2016
Wednesday 26th October 2016
The readings that were discussed were:
- Roseann M. Mandziuk, "Dressing Down Hillary", Communication and Critical/Cultural Studies, 5(3), 2008, pp. 312-16.
- Jessica Ritchie, "Creating a Monster: Online media constructions of Hillary Clinrton during the Democratic Primary Campaign, 2007-08", Feminist Media Studies, 13(1), 2013, pp. 102-119.
An article not discussed at the reading group but that relates closely to the topic is:
- Vanessa Friedman, "On Election Day, the Hillary Clinton White Suit Effect", New York Times, 07/11/16