Language requirements

Study abroad in a foreign language

If you want to study abroad in a foreign language - and you are not studying a modern language degree -  you must meet the following language requirements:

  • have an A-level or equivalent qualification in that language (or be a native speaker) and
  • continue your foreign language study at Bristol during both year 1 and 2 (through Applied Foreign Language open units)

If you want to study abroad for a full academic year your department will generally require you to be registered on a ‘Study in Continental Europe’ degree path.

You will need to arrange a language assessment as close as possible to the start of your first year. Speak to your School Academic Director or the Director of Foreign Language Teaching at the School of Modern Languages.

Studying in Portuguese, Japanese or Spanish

If you have competent language skills and your department agrees, we can arrange undergraduate and postgraduate placements at the following institutions that teach in the native language;

  • Universidade de São Paulo, Brazil
  • Universidade Estadual de Campinas, Brazil
  • Kyoto University, Japan
  • Niigata University, Japan
  • Nagoya University, Japan
  • Kyushu University, Japan
  • Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Mexico

Contact us

If you need more information about studying or working abroad

Phone: +44 (0) 117 39 40205
In Person: 3rd Floor, 31 Great George Street, University of Bristol, BS1 5QD

Edit this page