Helping private tenants achieve financial inclusion
Authors: Claire Whyley*, Andrea Finney and Dawn Muspratt* (* Sliced Bread Consulting)
Funded by: The Nationwide Foundation and Nationwide
Published by: The Nationwide Foundation
Publication date:July 2013 and December 2014
The main aims of this project were to:
- understand the number and characteristics of financially excluded private tenants;
- explore the specific barriers they face in accessing and using financial services; and
- develop solutions to reduce exclusion among this hard-to-reach group.
The project used a combination of quantitative, qualitative and consultative methods to deliver these objectives, including:
- Bi-variate and multi-variate analysis of the Family Resources Survey and the Wealth and Assets Survey to identify key sub-groups within the target population of private tenants vulnerable to financial exclusion, and the factors that influence the likelihood of financial exclusion.
- Focus groups with vulnerable private tenants to provide a detailed understanding of attitudes and experiences relating to financial services; the dynamics associated with access to financial services among them; needs and aspirations for inclusion; and overlaps in contact points with other financially excluded groups which could provide efficient points at which to target interventions.
- A programme of stakeholder engagement and consultation to maximise awareness and influence, and ensure that the project is informed by existing knowledge and expertise
The first output from the study, published in July 2013, was a detailed research report.
Following extensive consultation with stakeholders from across the UK, including through a series of workshops with local practitioners and policymakers, the project culminated in the release of a framework for local action in December 2014. The framework, ‘Making a Difference Locally’, shares the knowledge and experience gained by stakeholders who work with financially excluded private tenants and is intended to act as a call to action to organisations across the UK.
Helping private tenants achieve financial inclusion [ Report (PDF, 1,338kB) | Summary (PDF, 850kB) ]
Tackling private tenants’ financial exclusion - Making a difference locally (PDF, 738kB)
Note: some of the documents on this page are in PDF format. In order to view a PDF you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader