External Examiners for taught programmes
|Amendments to the Policy (formerly Guidelines) were approved in May 2014; the changes have been made to ensure alignment with Chapter B7 of the QAA UK Quality Code for Education, to clarify advice for external examiners and schools regarding the role and to reduce duplication between the Policy and the Regulations and Code of Practice for Taught Programmes.
The purposes of the external examiner system are to help ensure that:
- the University is maintaining the threshold academic standards set for its awards in accordance with the frameworks for higher education qualifications and applicable subject benchmark statements, and that the standards of student performance are properly judged against this;
- the assessment process measures student achievement against the intended learning outcomes, and is rigorous, fairly operated, and in line with University policies and regulations;
- that the assessment process is fair and is fairly operated in the marking, grading and classification of student performance, and that decisions are made in accordance with University regulations;
- the University is able to compare the standard of awards with those in other higher education institutions;
- programmes and units are well structured and balanced with appropriate content;
- good practice and innovation relating to learning, teaching and assessment is identified and shared.
Full information for schools and external examiners regarding the nomination, appointment, reporting processes and details of the role and responsibilities of the external examiner can be found in the Policy.
Policy and Forms
If you have any questions about any aspect of the external examining system at Bristol please either email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone Matt Holt on 0117 33 14166.
Additional information about the external examining system at Bristol
External examiners fees and expenses
Flowcharts relating to the processes around nomination and external examiner reports and school response forms
University Regulations and Code of Practice for Taught Programmes: rules for assessment, progression and award of a qualification
University Education Strategy
Rules and regulations for students
Map of the University precinct
You might also like to refer to the following National Guidelines
External examiners for research degrees at UoB