The University of Bristol has a magazine called Discover More that can be read online. This magazine has up-to-date information about the current research that is being conducted by the University of Bristol.
Language tools and reference
- Cambridge Dictionaries Online - Instructions for putting a link to this free online dictionary on your desktop or in your online materials.
- Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary - Quick look-up.
- British National Corpus Search - Online concordancer. Up to 50 lines returned. Returns full sentences but doesn't line up the searched word.
- The Academic Word List - Categorises academic words by frequency.
- Web Vocabulary Profiler - Enter a text and the program will tell you: how many word types the text contains from the following four frequency levels: (1) the list of the most frequent 1000 word families; (2) the list of the second 1000 word families; (3) the Academic Word List; (4) the words that do not appear in any of the preceding lists.
- UsingEnglish.com - Glossary of English grammar terms.
English language learning sites
- BBC World Service - Learning materials based on news and current affairs. Also discussion forums.
- Professional Word Web - "The Professional Word Web aims to help students learn the words they need for their academic studies and future careers." By the University of Hong Kong, Vocabulary for Business, Law, Social Work and Engineering.
- Prepare for Success - learning activities to prepare you for study in the UK.
- Academic English Cafe - improve your English skills and get inspired to write.
- UEFAP - using English for academic purposes, a guide for students in higher education.
Listening to lectures