5GUK Test Networks
What is 5GUK Test Networks?
5GUK Test Networks is an exciting new 5G Hub partnership linking three leading UK universities’ test beds which collectivly delivered the world’s first end-to-end 5G systems trials. This initiative was funded by the UK Government’s Department of Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) ‘5GUK Testbeds and Trials Programme’ in an effort to create a world-class 5G technology Test Network that places Britain at the forefront of the next wave of mobile technology, adding up to £173 billion to the economy by 2030.
University of Bristol's 5GUK Test Network
The University of Bristol has deployed 5G capability in Bristol city centre focusing on the convergence of fibre infrastructure and 5G wireless acess. The University of Bristol contributes to the key Software Defined Network (SDN) technologies for end-to-end 5G service delivery. Smart Internet Lab researchers have created a multi-technology testbed connected via a city wide fibre ring and several active switching nodes. The core network is located at the Smart Internet Lab at University of Bristol, with the majority of the access technologies located at Bristol’s Millennium Square for outdoor coverage and “We The Curious” science museum for indoor coverage.
The University of Bristol’s ‘5GUK Test Network’ offers multi-vendor capabilities such as:
- SDN enabled L2 packet switched network and L3 service routers
- SDN enabled optical fibre switched network
- SDN enabled multi-vendor Wi-Fi access points
- 4G and 5G Cloud Network Solution operating: EPC, LTE-A, 5GNR, M-MIMO on frequency bands at 2.6GHz, 3.5GHz, 26GHz and 60GHz.
- Self-organising multipoint-to-multipoint wireless mesh network in 26GHz mm-wave
- LiFi Access point
- Datacentre, Cloud and Network Function Virtualisation hosting on Openstack and Cloudband using high end compute
- Quantum Key Distribution solution for enhanced security
- Advanced fibre optics FPGA convergence of transmission network integrating Elastic Bandwidth-Variable Transponders and Programmable Optical White-box Wavelength Selective Switches (BV-WSS)
Our 5GUK Test Network is controlled using two different SDN/NFV solutions along with its Orchestration and Management (MANO); one based on Open Source ETSI and the other a commercial solution. Hence providing network slicing and virtualisation with rapid service creation.
Interested in using our Testbed?
Smart Internet Lab
The Smart Internet Lab at the University of Bristol has been recognised as the top Higher Education Institution within the UK as a concentrated 5G hub of established collaborative relationships between national and international institutions, authorities and industry.
DCMS 5GUK Testbeds and Trials Programme
The Programme was set by the UK Government's Department of Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) to encourage and fund the creation of a series of Testbeds and Trials in a range of geographic and vertical market segments and to explore the benefits and challenges of deploying 5G technologies.
The programme to date has secured £200 million funding and Phase 0 included a £16m investment in creating a cutting-edge 5G test network the '5GUK Test Networks'. This national asset was showcased globally for the first time at Mobile World Congress 2018.
Researchers at the Smart Internet Lab at the Unviersity of Bristol also demonstrated the world's first public 5G showcase. In April 2018 the Programme funded six Phase 1 projects and the University of Bristol is contributing to the 5G Smart Tourism project.