Scholarships and prizes
Airbus Women in Aerospace Engineering Scholarships
The Airbus scholarship aims to support and encourage women in Aerospace engineering and is awarded to first years who successfully complete a written or video application on an Aerospace-related topic.
- Prize winners 2016: Abi Coates, Zeynep Yanar, Sophie Hazelby and Victoria Race
- Previous winners 2015: Kate Goldup, Kathryn Pugh, Megan Reynolds and Joanna Savage
Please visit the link for more scholarships, Faculty funding opportunities and University of Bristol information.
The Department of Aerospace holds an Annual Award Winning Projects Prize giving ceremony. These awards cover excellence in academic and project based work as well as contributions to the student and departmental community.
Industrial representatives at the ceremonies
The 2016 ceremony took place on 15 July at Bristol Grammar School. Industrial representatives included Mr Jeremy Graham (Royal Aeronautical Society), Dr Tom Mackman (Reaction Engines) and Professor Ian Lane (Airbus UK).
The 2015 ceremony was attended by Dr John Williams (Reaction Engines), Ms Shamma Musthapha (Boeing UK) and Mr Stuart Ellis (Chief Engineer TP400, Rolls Royce).
In 2014 representatives included Mrs Ann Lowson, Dr Helen Webber (Reaction Engines) and Andrew Owen (Boeing Defence UK).
For the 2013 ceremony, Sir George White (descendant of the 1st Sir George, pioneer of the British aircraft industry), Ian McNeil (Boeing Defence UK) and Richard Varvill (Reaction Engines) were in attendance.
Final year prizes
Royal Aeronautical Society Prize
Awarded to the best aeronautical engineering student in the final year.
- Prize winner 2016: Laurence Kedward
- Previous winners: Shashitha Kularatna; James Finley (2014)
Raoul Hafner Prize
Awarded on the recommendation of the Head of Department to two final year students who submit the most inventive and imaginative project work.
- Prize winners 2016: Jim Cole, Sam Jennings, Patrick Metcalfe, Jonathan Stacey, Luke Wakelin, Michael Wu
- Previous winners: Emma England / Michael Mousdale and Alastair Blanshard and Emmanuel Abaya (2014)
Awarded to the students in their final year showing excellent academic performance, including in their research project.
- Prize winners 2016: Jocelino Rodrigues, Tom Summers, Nathalie Zajaczkowski
Reaction Engines Prize
Awarded to the best final year project on a space related topic.
- Prize winner 2016: Jocelino Rodrigues
- Previous winners: Luke Fongenie; James Stables (2014)
Boeing Project Prize
Awarded on the recommendation of the Head of Department to the final year student who submitted an inventive and imaginative project and for the best MSc Project in Integrated Aerospace Systems Design.
- Prize winner 2016: Prita Dres, Josh Hoole, Laurence Kedward
- Previous winners: Rupert Adams and Pete Miller
Hele Shaw Prize
Awarded to the student in their Final Year in any Department with a good academic or social record not otherwise covered.
- Prize winner 2016: Kirk Willicombe
- Previous winner:Aditi Vyakamam; Alex Lusty (2014)
Wertheimer Memorial Prize
Awarded to a Final Year student who is considered to have made the best contribution to the life of the Faculty and of their fellow students.
- Prize winner 2016: Lewis Munshi
- Previous winners: Andrew Collings; Emily Owen (2014)
Third year prizes
Rolls Royce Prize
Awarded to the best third year student in aeronautical engineering.
- Prize winner 2016: Patrick Metcalfe
- Previous winners: Dominic Chapman; Rob Worboys (2014)
Racal Star Graduate Avionics prize
Awarded to a Third Year student studying the unit Avionics Systems and Design
- Prize winner 2016: Elliot Romney
- Sam Gibson (2014)
Second year prizes
Roderick Collar Prize
Awarded to two second year aeronautical students who have combined academic excellence with other activities.
- Prize winners 2016: Nat King
- Previous winners: Byung Kwon Jung, Robert Worboys and Yannick Mayer and Tom Summers
Dr Peter Spence Bursary
Awarded over three years to five of the best performing first year undergraduate students within the Department of Aerospace.
First year prizes
Alumni Academic Achievement Award
This new award, funded from donations from alumni, is made to the top first-year undergraduate students based on examination/coursework results.
- Prize winner 2016: TBC
- Previous winner: Yannik Mayer; Patrick Metcalfe (2014)
John Deakin Prize
Awarded to the first year aeronautical engineering student with the best academic excellence (should be of first class standard).
- Prize winner 2016: Finton McLaughlin, Mansur Tisaev
- Previous winners: Tom Summers; Robert Clark (2014)