Neuroscience and Education
Neuroscience is influencing educational thinking and practice across the world. Insights from neuroscience are relevant for learners at all levels of ability (including those with disorders, low and high ability) and all phases and ages across the lifespan.
This programme is suitable for teachers and practitioners of all subjects and across all ages. This includes teachers of children with special needs, educational psychologists, education managers, policy makers and educationists who are keen to contribute to the research agenda of future cognitive and educational neuroscience research. It is for those who want to enrich their thinking of practice with insights about typical and atypical learning from the scenes of the mind and brain. The programme also provides an excellent foundation for further research studies (e.g. at PhD level) involving the ideas and methods of cognitive neuroscience, in areas related to education and learning.
The course aims to equip students with:
- Knowledge and understanding of learning from the scientific perspectives of mind and brain.
- Knowledge of the brain mechanisms by which individuals grow to maturity and can maximise their potential and the implications of brain disorders on learning.
- Understanding of the impact of education and learning on the brain processes underlying cognition, language, social and emotional development.
- Awareness of how neuroscience can contribute to reducing discrimination and disadvantage.
- The skills and confidence to undertake a critical approach when making connections between neuroscience and education.
- A basis for making decisions in educational policy and practice that are informed by brain research evidence (e.g. fMRI, EEG).
- The ability to generate new evidence and test their own ideas through research involving qualitative, quantitative and simple psychophysiological methods.
- Opportunities to draw on neuroscience when reflecting on their own experience and practice.
This programme is offered on both a full time and part time basis.
Applying to Bristol
Register your interest
Want an insight into life as a student in Bristol? Want to be the first to know about events, scholarships and more?