Browse/search for people
Professor Katharine Cashman
Professor Katharine Cashman
Professor of Volcanology
Area of research
Physical and chemical processes that operate within volcanic systems
My research concerns the evolution of magma within the Earth’s crust and how its path to the surface triggers volcanic eruptions. I use a combination of field volcanology, igneous petrology, kinetics, microscopy and fluid dynamics to address the fundamental problem of how volcanoes work.
My current focus is on mafic volcanism - from channel development in Hawaiian lava flows to volcanic ash formation in eruptions from Hawaiian, Icelandic, Italian, Latin American and Pacific Northwest (US) volcanoes. I continue, however, to pursue questions related to intermediate to silicic volcanism, particularly at Mount St. Helens, USA.
I studied for a BA degree in Geology and Biology at Middlebury College, Vermont, USA (1976), for an MSci (1st class Hons) at Victoria University, Wellington (New Zealand) and for a PhD in Earth Sciences at Johns Hopkins University, Maryland, USA (1986). My PhD project concerned applying theories of crystal size distributions to volcanic systems, and was supervised by Professor Bruce Marsh. I was an Assistant Professor at Princeton University, New Jersey, USA (1986-1991), and then an Associate (1991-1997) and Full (1997-present) at the University of Oregon. I came to Bristol in 2011 on a three year Research Professorship funded by the AXA insurance company. In December 2013 I was offered an AXA Endowed Chair at Bristol. I was Head of the Department of Geological Sciences, University of Oregon (2007-10) and President of the Volcanology, Geochemistry and Petrology (VGP) section of the American Geophysical Union (AGU; 2002-2004). In 2003 I was made a Distinguished Professor of the College of Arts and Sciences (Oregon), in 2007 I was made a Philip H. Knight Distinguished Professor of Natural Science (Oregon). I received the AGU VGP Bowen Award in 2006, was elected a Fellow of the AGU in 2009 and of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2012. I currently hold a Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award.
- field geology
- igneous petrology
- fluid dynamics
School of Earth Sciences
Earth Sciences staff
- Liu, EJ, Cashman, KV, Rust, AC & Gislason, SR 2015, The role of bubbles in generating fine ash during hydromagmatic eruptions. Geology, vol 43., pp. 239-242
- Gurioli, L, Andronico, D, Bachelery, P, Balcone-Boissard, H, Battaglia, J, Boudon, G, Burgisser, A, Burton, MR, Cashman, K, Cichy, S, Cioni, R, Di Muro, A, Dominguez, L, D’Oriano, C, Druitt, T, Harris, AJL, Hort, M, Kelfoun, K, Komorowski, JC, Kueppers, U, Le Pennec, JL, Menand, T, Paris, R, Pioli, L, Pistolesi, M, Polacci, M, Pompilio, M, Ripepe, M, Roche, O, Rose-Koga, E, Rust, A, Schiavi, F, Scharff, L, Sulpizio, R, Taddeucci, J & Thordarson, T 2015, MeMoVolc consensual document: a review of cross-disciplinary approaches to characterizing small explosive magmatic eruptions. Bulletin of Volcanology, vol 77.
- Hutchison, AA, Cashman, KV, Williams, CA & Rust, AC 2015, The 1717 eruption of Volcán de Fuego, Guatemala: Cascading hazards and societal response. Quaternary International.
- Dietterich, HR & Cashman, KV 2014, Channel networks within lava flows: Formation, evolution, and implications for flow behavior. Journal of Geophysical research: Earth Surface, vol 119., pp. 1704-1724
- Cashman, KV, Giordano, G & Cashman, KV 2014, Calderas and magma reservoirs. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, vol 288., pp. 28-45
- Rotella, MD, Wilson, CJN, Barker, SJ, Cashman, KV, Houghton, BF & Wright, IC 2014, Bubble development in explosive silicic eruptions: Insights from pyroclast vesicularity textures from Raoul volcano (Kermadec arc). Bulletin of Volcanology, vol 76., pp. 1-24
- Guevara-Murua, A, Williams, CA, Hendy, EJ, Rust, AC, Cashman, KV & Cashman, KV 2014, Observations of a stratospheric aerosol veil from a tropical volcanic eruption in December 1808: Is this the Unknown ∼ 1809 eruption?. Climate of the Past, vol 10., pp. 1707-1722
- Kilgour, GN, Saunders, KE, Blundy, JD, Cashman, KV, Scott, BJ & Miller, CA 2014, Timescales of magmatic processes at Ruapehu volcano from diffusion chronometry and their comparison to monitoring data. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, vol 288., pp. 62-75
- Liu, EJ, Cashman, KV, Beckett, F, Witham, C, Leadbetter, S, Hort, M & Gudmundsson, S 2014, Ash mists and brown snow: Remobilization of volcanic ash from recent Icelandic eruptions. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, vol 119., pp. 9463-9480
- Dietterich, H, Soule, S, Cashman, KV & Mackey, B 2014, Lava flows in 3D: Using airborne lidar and pre-eruptive topography to evaluate lava flow surface morphology and thickness in Hawai'i. AGU Monograph on Hawaiian Volcanoes.
Edit this profile If you are Professor Katharine Cashman, you can edit this page. Login required.