Three Minute Thesis 2020: University of Bristol winners announced
15 June 2020
We are pleased to announce the winners of the University of Bristol’s Three Minute Thesis competition and our People’s Choice winner.
On 12 June, our Three Minute Thesis 2020 competition finals were broadcast via Facebook Premiere on the University of Bristol Facebook page.
In a first for the University, the entire Three Minute Thesis competition was conducted virtually, in line with public health guidelines, with the finalists presenting to the judges via Zoom several days prior to the event being broadcast.
Over 100 people tuned in to watch on the day, and just under 300 people voted for this year's People’s Choice Award.
This year's final was introduced by the Vice-Chancellor, Professor Hugh Brady, whilst the judging panel consisted of:
- Professor Robert Bickers — Associate Pro Vice-Chancellor (PGR)
- Dr Peter Ball — Williamson Biotech Solutions
- Dr Sophie Collet — Director of Strategy, Information and Operations, RED, University of Bristol
- Konstantina Kanari — University of Bristol PGR and 3MT People's Choice winner, 2019
- Katie Thorpe — Learning and Development Consultant, Institute for Government.
The winner’s video will be entered into the national Three Minute Thesis semi-final, which will be held during July and August. Vitae, which oversees the national contest, will announce the six UK finalists on 19 August 2020.
Finalists and presentations
David Brigido, School of Civil, Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering
'Coffee, fish, and aeroplanes'
- Jessica Cross, School of Chemistry
'Cells and the city'
- Hannah Langlands, School of Biochemistry
'Blood 2.0: lab-grown blood that combats disease'
- Debbie Nicol, School of Chemistry
'Exploring the dark matter of protein space'
- Sophie Osbourne, School of Physics
'A diamond radiation detector for use near a miniature sun'
- Ted Roberts, School of Biochemistry
'From stem cell to neutrophil: a model system to examine neutrophil production'
The 2020 winners
- Winner: David Brigido
- Runner-up: Sophie Osbourne
- People’s Choice winner: David Brigido