Skills for the Future: summer school for doctoral researchers
Applications for the Skills for the Future Summer School, running from 1-3 July, are now open. The deadline for applications is midnight on 14 June.
The purpose of this three-day Summer School is to equip Bristol doctoral researchers with competencies which will enable them to succeed in their collaborative research with industrial sponsors and other external organisations. You’ll also get to explore the potential that lies in any opportunity you choose to explore beyond your PhD or doctorate.
This Summer School supports doctoral researchers in your aspirations to increase the economic and societal impact of your doctoral research.
The key themes covered in this School will include:
- Developing and managing relationships in a hybrid academic-commercial environment
- Managing priorities, critical thinking and problem solving as part of your PhD and beyond
- Ability to see potential in ideas, follow through, and have the capacity to build on them
- Developing intellectual agility (agile thinking)
- Learn what opportunities, help and support exists within the University
- Introduce you to a network of alumni's who have recently spun out/started their own companies.
The Summer School is open to doctoral students across all six faculties and is not subject specific.
Places are limited to 30 participants and we expect to receive more applications than there are available places, therefore we cannot guarantee participation for all eligible applicants. You should complete all sections of the application in full, with the above eligibility criteria in mind.
Attendance and no-show/cancellation policy
If offered a place to attend the summer school, you are expected to commit to attending the full three days of the programmed workshop and activities to practice new skills.
Please view the full no-show and cancellation policy (PDF, 90kB).