Research staff information
Forms and guidance notes for administrators and examiners
- Appointment of Research Degree Examiners form (Office document, 82kB)
- Guidance for research degree examiners (PDF, 139kB)
- Research degree examiners' preliminary report (Office document, 77kB)
- Research degree examiners' final report (Office document, 58kB)
- Independent Chair's Report (Office document, 47kB)
- Viva by videolink request form (Office document, 33kB)
The Academic Quality and Policy Office are responsible for organising external examiners for all taught courses and programmes.
How to appoint an external examiner
- External examiners for research students are appointed individually. Supervisors must complete the Appointment of Research Degree Examiners form (Office document, 82kB) form 4 weeks before the candidate is due to submit.
- Supervisors should contact the proposed examiners to ensure they are willing to examine the thesis.
- Examiners are approved by the Head of Department, and by the Graduate Dean, on behalf of Faculty.
- Once approved, the Exams Office send:
- a Letter of Appointment
- an expenses claim form
- the work to be examined
- External examiners should send completed expenses forms to the student's department.
- Once the department has authorised the expenses, they will send the form to the Finance Office.
There is no requirement for the Exams Office to approve these claims.
Fees for research external examiners
|PhDs and Professional Doctorates
The fees for external examiners are set by University Planning and Resources Committee (UPARC).
The department the candidate is registered to is responsible for payment of both fees and expenses.
Deferring access to a dissertation
- If a student believes they have a case to defer making their dissertation available, they must complete Request to defer access to a research degree form (Office document, 25kB).
- The process for staff to follow to allow a student to defer access is available at Process for requesting deferral of access (PDF, 280kB).
Nominating dissertations for a prize
Every year the Research Degrees Examination Board awards a prize for the best disseration in each Faculty.
Internal and external examiners can nominate suitable dissertations using the Research degree examiners' final report (Office document, 58kB). Nominations are noted at the Research Degrees Examination Board at which the degree is awarded.
Further information is at the Research dissertation prize page.