Clifton locations

Clifton Hill House

Clifton Hill House carries all the hallmarks of Georgian Clifton, with its honey-coloured stone, elegant reception rooms and rambling gardens. More a mansion than a house, it was built around 1747 in the grand Palladian style for Bristol merchant Paul Fisher and was later the home of Victorian writer John Addington Symonds.

Goldney Hall

Goldney Hall sits in the heart of Georgian Clifton, a small oasis of beauty in the city. Built by Thomas Goldney in 1714, it displays eccentric British flare. The elegant sunny Orangery and the panelled Mahogany Parlour overlook ten acres of gardens. Features include a shell studded grotto, a rotunda and an ornamental canal.

Victoria Rooms

The Victoria Rooms at the top of Queens Road were originally built as assembly rooms, in a classical Greek revival style, with a dramatic Corinthian portico supported by eight columns. Now The Victoria Rooms is the home of the University’s music department. There is plenty of space inside with a large auditorium, a recital room and much more. Completed in 1841, The Victoria Rooms have seen many important events throughout its history, from the ceremonial dinner to mark the opening of the Clifton Suspension Bridge, to readings by Charles Dickens and Oscar Wilde.

Wills Memorial Building

Standing tall above the University precinct at the top of Park Street, the ornately carved neo-gothic Wills Memorial Building is a true Bristol icon, and makes a dramatic and inspiring venue. A sweeping double stone staircase and carved stone vaulted ceiling leads to the impressive Great Hall and other splendid rooms, all with acres of carved oak, panelled walls and leaded windows. The building was recently cleaned, revealing a warm glow to the stonework. Coloured lighting was also added inside and out to add to the magic of the venue.

500px wide for right hand column
Clifton Hill House
500px wide for right hand column
The folly at Goldney Hall
Edit this page