Education, training and consultancy
Composites feature in several of the degree programmes at the University of Bristol.
- A number of Undergraduate Degree programmes have content relating to composite materials. In particular the MEng in Aerospace Engineering has optional units in Composites Design and Manufacture and Advanced Composites Analysis.
- The MSc in Advanced Composites programme is a one year full time course which allows you to acquire an in-depth theoretical understanding and practical knowledge of advanced composite materials through taught (core and optional) units and a research project. You can apply via the postgraduate programme finder.
- If you are interested in doing postgraduate research in composites we would welcome your application. We advise you to first make contact with a potential supervisor to discuss your proposed research area. Further information on how to apply can be found on the postgraduate programme finder for Aerospace Engineering. Applicants are advised to make initial contact with a potential supervisor to discuss their proposed research area. General enquiries about application process may be directed to the Faculty of Engineering postgraduate admissions team at via email at: email@example.com
- The EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Advanced Composites for Innovation and Science (ACCIS CDT) offers exceptional PhD candidates the opportunity to work at the interface of engineering and science. The Centre offers a 4 year programme involving a taught element in the first year comprising advanced technical units, transferable skills training, a group design, build and test project and a short research project.
- The Industrial Doctorate Centre (IDC) in Composites Manufacture aims to equip Research Engineers with the necessary advanced technical and leadership skills required for effective adoption of new knowledge and technologies in composites manufacture. The Centre offers a 4 year programme during which you will complete taught technical and business courses whilst working closely with an industrial sponsor on a research project.
- The Continuing Professional Development in Aerospace programme, now hosted at UWE, can lead to MSc or EngD qualifications through part time study of modular courses.
- Study by full time research can lead to award of an MSc or PhD. Please see our vacancies page for current opportunites or contact us with a CV and academic record.
Short courses in composite materials are offered for our industrial partners. These can either be done on site or within the University premises. Content and format is always tailored to suit the customer’s requirements. Subjects that can be covered include:
- Materials: constituents, laminas, laminates, properties, selection, optimisation
- Laminates: sizing, holes, notches, edges, tapers, corners
- Structure: stiffness, strength, stability
- Manufacture and test
- Assembly, bonded and bolted joints
- In service use, NDT / Repair
- Design calculations, finite element analysis, case studies.
Please contact Ian Farrow on +44 (0)117 331 5316 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire about training for your organisation.
If you are interested in applying for a short-term internship within ACCIS refer to our vacancies page.
From time to time we take on direct consultancy to meet the short term requirements of individual companies. Should you be interested in this type of work please contact the academic staff member in the area which best suits your requirements.