There are many opportunities within the University of Bristol for education in the field of composites leading to the award of degrees.
- A number of Undergraduate Degree programmes have content relating to composite materials. This is particularly so of the MEng in Aeronautical Engineering which has optional units in Composites Design and Manufacture and Advanced Composites Analysis.
- We are pleased to announce our MSc in Advanced Composites, which offers a world class education in which students will acquire an in-depth theoretical understanding and practical/industrial knowledge of advanced composite materials.
- Applications are welcomed from prospective research postgraduate students who are interested in studying for a research-based MSc or PhD in Aerospace Engineering, with focus on composites. Further information can be found in the Postgraduate Prospectus for Aerospace Engineering. Applicants are advised to make initial contact with a potential supervisor to discuss their proposed research area. General enquiries about application process may be directed to the Faculty of Engineering postgraduate admissions team at via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Centre for Doctoral Training in Advanced Composites for Innovation and Science (ACCIS CDT) offers exceptional candidates the opportunity to work at the interface of engineering and science during a 4 year programme involving a taught element to the first year comprising advanced technical units and transferable skills training.
- The Industrial Doctorate Centre (IDC) in Composites Manufacture aims to provide the UK composites manufacturing industry with Research Engineers equipped with the necessary advanced technical and leadership skills required for effective adoption of new knowledge and technologies in composites manufacture.The University houses several other EPSRC funded Centres for Doctoral Training, providing academic training for scientists and engineers and leading to a PhD or an EngD qualification.
- The Continued Professional Development in Aerospace programme, now hosted at UWE, can lead to MSc or EngD qualifications through part time study of modular courses.
- Study by full time research can lead to award of an MSc or PhD. Please see our vacancies page for current opportunites or contact us with a CV and academic record.
If you are interested in applying for a short-term internship within ACCIS refer to our vacancies page.
Short courses in composite materials are offered for our industrial partners. These can either be done on site or within the University premises. Content and format is always tailored to suit the customers requirements. See below for example subjects covered.
- Materials: constituents, laminas, laminates, properties, selection, optimisation
- Laminate: sizing, holes, notches, edges, tapers, corners
- Structure: stiffness, strength, stability
- Manufacture and test
- Assembly, bonded and bolted joints
- In service use, NDT / Repair
- Design calculations, finite element analysis, case studies
Please contact Ian Farrow on +44 (0)117 331 5316 or email email@example.com to enquire about training for your organisation.
Not all work fits the more traditional ways in which the University of Bristol engages with industrial partners for long term research. We therefore from time to time take on direct consultancy to meet short term requirements. Should you be interested in this please contact the academic staff member in the area which best suits your requirements.
(Back to top)