NCC Discover: Composites Overmoulding 2019
National Composites Centre, Bristol & Bath Science Park, Emersons Green, Bristol BS16 7FS
The National Composites Centre (NCC) is bringing together international businesses across all sectors to present and discuss advancements in composites overmoulding technology.
Enrique Garcia, Chief Technology Officer at the NCC, said: "Composite overmoulding technology specifically allows for the rapid manufacture of net-shape structural thermoplastic composites. It combines both laminate thermoforming and polymer injection moulding in one automated process, thus structural components with a valuable combination of high strength and integrated complex design features are able to be manufactured with a very low cycle time.
"Through NCC Discover: Composites Overmoulding 2019, we are connecting research and industry to allow them to discuss the key challenges they currently face, and the new technology innovations that may assist with solving those challenges."
Tickets cost £100 (£75 for NCC Members and Composite UK Members), covering conference attendance, refreshments throughout the day, and a demonstration and tour of the NCC facility. Book your place on Eventbrite here.
- 9:00 – 9:30 Arrival
- 9:30 – 9:40 Welcome to the NCC
- 9:40 – 10:00 Keynote: “Composites from the perspective of an injection moulding business” Graeme Herlihy, President Western Europe, Engel
- 10:00 – 10:20 "Composites overmoulding; manufacturing development, characterisation and process simulation" Alex Batten, Research Engineer in High Volume Manufacturing, NCC
- 10:20 – 10:40 "A study on the preform deformation in thermoplastic composite overmoulding" Mario Valverde, PhD student, Bristol Composites Institute, University of Bristol
- 10:40 – 11:00 Break
- 11:00 – 11:20 Keynote: "Overmoulding in a commercial industrial environment" Alan Banks, Ford Motor Company, Innovation Supervisor, Lightweight Technology Engineering
- 11:20 – 11:40 "Opportunities and challenges for composite overmoulding in structural applications" Simon Baril-Gosselin, Research Officer, Automotive and Surface Transportation, National Research Council Canada
- 11:40 – 12:00 Keynote: "Overmoulding: The Ascendance of Thermoplastic Composites" James Myers, Head of R&D for Aerospace and Composite Applications, Victrex
- 12:00 – 12:20 "An interface strength characterization study on overmoulded unidirectional C/PAEK" Coen Hartjes, Researcher and Lab Operations Coordinator, Thermoplastic Composites Research Centre
- 12:20 – 12:40 "Interface Strength Testing of overmoulded CF/PAEK-Composites" Robert Gaitzsch, Modelling & Simulation, Faserinstitut Bremen e.V. (FIBRE)
- 12:40 – 13:45 Lunch
- 13:45 – 15:15 Tour of NCC’s world-leading composite capabilities, Overmoulding manufacturing demonstrations and facilitated workshop sessions on potential challenges and new projects
- 15:15 – 15:30 Refreshments
- 15:30 – 15:50 Facilitated Workshop Sessions Discussion
- 15:50 – 16:00 Summary & Close - Sean Cooper, Deputy Chief Engineer, Aerospace & Defence, NCC
- 16:00 – 16:30 Networking
- 16:30 Close