Converting to law

Looking to pursue a career as a solicitor or barrister? If your first degree is not in Law, you will need to complete a conversion course.

Choosing a Conversion Course

Over 40 institutions offer the conversion qualifications of Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) or the Common Professional Examination (CPE). You could also gain a conversion qualification by studying for a Senior Status law degree (a law degree concentrated into two years). For example, the University of Bristol's two-year MA in Law.

For more help take a look at the following links:

Applying for conversion courses

Full time applications are administered by the Central Applications Board. You are advised to check this website for application deadlines and costs.

Stand out and compete with a well written personal statement that demonstrates your motivation to study that particular conversion course. For application tips, visit:


You should expect to pay between £3,400 and £10,000 for a 1 year GDL, plus living costs. Take a look at our funding postgraduate study page or AllAboutLaw's funding and scholarship guides for sources of funding (please note that the CPE/GDL is not eligible for a Career Development Loan).

  • Thinking of becoming a solicitor? Some law firms will sponsor students as part of their training contract. TARGETjobs has a list of employers who may sponsor a GDL.
  • Thinking of becoming a barrister? The Inns of Court offer some combined scholarships for GDL/BPTC courses. See the how to become a barrister page for a list of Inns.
Can we help?

Choose your sector

Choose sector