- Cost-effectiveness of screening for atrial fibrillation 18 October 2017 Atrial fibrillation (AF) is a major cause of stroke and mortality. Many AF patients benefit from anticoagulation therapies, which have been shown to reduce the risk of an AF-related stroke. Earlier detection could prevent AF-related strokes, disability and mortality.
- Erasmus Students 26 September 2017 Münevver Kökçü and Ayşenur Çetinkaya from Usak University in Turkey have been awarded an Erasmus student mobility programme scholarship to spend 3 months in Professor Suleiman’s Laboratory during the period July-October 2017.
- BHF Clinical Fellowship awarded 26 September 2017 One of our academic clinical fellows in anaesthesia, Dr Katrina Hope, has been awarded a BHF Clinical Fellowship for 3 years.
- Daniel Turnberg Travel Fellowship awarded 26 September 2017 Dr Safa Abdul-Ghani, a former PhD Student at the University of Bristol is currently an Assistant Professor in Physiology at Al-Quds University in Jerusalem, has been awarded a Daniel Turnberg Travel Fellowship to visit Professor Suleiman’s group this summer.
- Bristol scientists to study oral bacteria that cause heart valve infection 21 August 2017 Scientists at the University of Bristol are investigating how bacteria in our mouth can cause a heart problem, called infective endocarditis. Although uncommon, infective endocarditis is a serious condition that can often be fatal.
- WUN Strategic Research Workshop 1 August 2017 The World Universities Network Global Africa Group launched its inaugural Strategic Research Workshop, hosted by the University of Ghana in a two-day event that brought together over sixty researchers from twelve WUN partner universities and ten other universities from four continents.
- Transforming UK Translation commitments 27 July 2017 The Academy of Medical Sciences, Royal Academy of Engineering, Royal Society, and the Wellcome Trust, have outlined a series of commitments to ensure that translation is recognised and celebrated as an integral part of academic research.
- Above and Beyond grant Success 28 June 2017 To Mustafa Zakkar, the amount of £6,249 to pursue a project entitled 'The impact of acute shear stress on venous endothelial cells inflammation and interaction with circulating white blood cells'
- £1.8m for major study into management of bleeding after childbirth 28 June 2017 The UK National Institute of Health Research (NIHR) has awarded a collaboration led by Liverpool, Bristol and Sunderland £1.8m to run a large study into the drug treatment of bleeding after childbirth (also called postpartum haemorrhage or PPH).
- Queen’s birthday honour for Professor Debbie Lawlor 22 June 2017 Debbie Lawlor, Professor of Epidemiology at the University of Bristol, has been awarded a CBE for her services to social and community medicine research in the Queen's Birthday Honours, which recognises the achievements of a wide range of extraordinary people across the UK.
Bristol Heart Institute press releases
Press releases relating to cardiovascular research on University's central news pages.