Campus Heart projects
We are committed to providing students and staff with the high-quality spaces and services they've asked for.
Senate House, Indoor Sports Centre and Arts and Social Sciences Library closed until further notice
Following government advice, we have closed the following buildings:
- Senate House has closed, until further notice. This includes the PGR Hub and the SU Living Room, as well as study spaces in that building.
- All libraries including the Arts and Social Sciences Library (ASSL) have closed.
- The Sports Centre is closed and memberships have been frozen. Online exercise classes are available and you can also visit the NHS exercise webpage.
Where you can find more information
We have published more information on our 'Current Students' website. You should use this, and the emails sent to staff and students, as your main source of information about the University's response to this situation.
Julio Mkok has gives you a sneak peek at the work that's been happening to build new spaces for you at Senate House, in his new video and blog.
Join in online
There are lots of great things for you to get involved in, virtually.
- Global Lounge is hosting great virtual events: from language cafés to celebrations.
- The Bristol SU Living Room is now sharing events, recipe tips and lots of other bits of fun via their Facebook group.
- Keep visiting the Indoor Sports Centre Instagram feed for lots of tips to stay fit and healthy, right from your own room.
Global Lounge - a cultural hub
Global Lounge celebrates various significant dates in the global calendar, such as Lunar New Year, Day of the Dead and Thanksgiving, collaborating with groups and individuals across the University – including student societies and University departments – enabling students to experience and learn about different cultures right on campus.
Currently operating in pop-up mode, the Lounge is due to become a permanent, physical space in Senate House in January 2021. The Global Lounge will be a place where both UK and international students can connect, learn from each other and find out about opportunities of studying, working, volunteering and travelling abroad.
New University library
The University submitted its planning application to Bristol City Council in January 2020 following an extensive consultation with a wide range of stakeholder groups including staff, students, local residents and neighbours, the wider community, and Bristol City Council.
The successful planning application outlined how the NUL - which will be built on the site of The Hawthorns, at the corner of Elton Road and Woodland Road - will play an important civic and educational role and provide an architecturally significant new building for the city, along with improved external public spaces.
Find out more on the new University Library website.
What's happening in Senate House
Students and staff have told us they want more central space for relaxation, social activities, support and learning.
To achieve this ambition, work has begun to provide new exciting spaces in Senate House by 2020, a year earlier than planned.
Last summer building work started on the lower and upper ground floors to create a large new food court, new SU café bar and a new home for the Information Point.
Make sure you have a look at our latest update, given by Julio Mkok.
Staff Lounge at Royal Fort House
We know there’s a shortage of central places for staff to take a little time out, so we opened a lovely but underused space for all staff to enjoy all day, in Royal Fort House.
The Staff Lounge is a space to get away from the day to day pressures of university life; a place to read a book, grab a drink and have informal meetings with colleagues and visitors.
The lounge is located in the Foyer, Drawing Room, Ante Room, Dining Room and Yellow Room in Royal Fort House. The rooms are open between 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday. They can be booked for evening events via the Conference Office.
A Garden Café to come together
The new Garden Café at the Hawthorns is the first part of our plans to transform the spaces in and around Tyndall Avenue. We wanted to provide a new café where students, staff and our local community can come together to meet, chat and relax in the Campus Heart.
We upcycled a shipping container to create a new, environmentally-friendly café with lots of outside seating that is fully wheelchair-accessible.
The new Indoor Sports Centre
Students and staff have asked for bigger class capacity, improved changing facilities and faster access in the Indoor Sports Centre. We’ve made these improvements and opened the doors to a bigger gym and better equipment in September 2018.
Changes so far
- The new Garden Café at the Hawthorns is open.
- A larger and better equipped gym opened in the Sports Centre.
- A new space for staff to relax at Royal Fort House opened.
- First phase of the Senate House transformation was completed.
- The Bristol SU Living Room opened its doors.
- New food court, dining area and SU café/bar will open in Senate House.
- Our inspirational new library will be ready to welcome all students, staff and our wider community.
- New, shared public spaces.
Our plans are ambitious, and they can't all happen overnight. It's going to take years to transform our space. Keep informed of the latest developments by signing up for our newsletter.