How to minimise laboratory energy use and environmental impact
Gromit Room, 4th Floor, Richmond Building, 105 Queens Rd, BS8 1LN
NB AS SPACE IS LIMITED WE WIlL NOT CONFIRM PLACES UNTIL LATE JANUARY
This workshop takes advantage of the UK visit of Kathy Ramirez Aguilar, Green Labs Program Manager at the University of Colorado, Boulder (CU-Boulder) – a campus and university that is a US leader on many sustainability topics. Kathy will share her experience on topics such as:
- Engaging scientists and growing a “green” culture in university research laboratories
- Creating a multi-stakeholder team approach to conservation in CU-Boulder laboratories involving environmental health and safety (EH&S), facilities management, campus recycling/waste management, laboratory department administrators, scientists, and others.
- Identifying and promoting environmental improvement opportunities such as efficient cold storage practices, energy efficient equipment selection, more effective use of chemicals and materials, and waste diversion practices.
- Demonstrating synergies between conservation opportunities and other areas such as safety, cost savings, enhanced performance, and relationship building.
Martin Wiles and Anna Lewis of the University of Bristol will also give a brief summary of their own experience and successes with regard to these topics. Following this, there will be an opportunity for in-depth discussion and networking in small groups, with each group focused on a specific topic such as:
- How to get engagement from academics, technical staff and students.
- Value/benefits/experience of dedicated lab efficiency/sustainable lab roles.
- Value of, and next steps for, S-Lab/Green Impact assessment.
- Cold storage – experience and benefits of sustainable procurement, effective maintenance and management, raising ULT temperatures and more.
This event is free to attend but you must register for your place. The event is aimed at all UoB staff working in labs and external contacts working in laboratories who may have good sustainability practices they can share with the group.
This event is being run by S-Labs - email firstname.lastname@example.org for info.