GW4 opens 'Building Communities' funding schemes
24 March 2014
GW4 have two staged funds to support creating opportunities for excellent research communities to self-assemble across any area of academic endeavour with the purpose of addressing major research or societal challenges.
GW4 Building Communities
GW4 would like to create opportunities for excellent research communities to self-assemble across any area of academic endeavour with the purpose of addressing major research or societal challenges. GW4 is making available two staged funds to support this, both of which are based on open competition.
• The GW4 Initiator fund - for events or workshops that enable communities to scope and refine research ideas and identify potential collaborators (between £5K and £20K); and
• The GW4 Accelerator fund - for structured pump priming activities and may be used in a variety of ways with the expectation that support will lead to an application for external funding (between £20K and £75K).
Applicants for the Accelerator Fund are expected to have previously applied for the Initiator fund or to provide evidence of recent activities that have enabled the scoping of research ideas appropriate for the GW4 Accelerator fund.
Guidance and Deadlines
Applications should involve colleagues from at least three of the four institutions and deadlines for both calls are highlighted below:
Timeline – GW4 Initiator Fund
- Call Open: 07 March
- Call Close 04 April
- Review Panel W/C 07 April
- Board Approval W/C 14 April
- Notification of Awards W/C 21 April
- Events are expected to be completed by 21 July
Timeline – GW4 Accelerator
- Call Open 01 April
- Call Close 11th August
- Review Panel w/c18th August
- Board Approval w/c 25th August
- Notification of Awards w/c 1st September
All Lead applicants are expected to speak to their University Research Support Team in advance of applying.
GW4 Initiator Fund applications should be submitted to the Building Communities GW4 programme office in the University of Exeter (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The application forms and further information can be found on the following webpage:
Contact for enquiries: Dr Jenny Knapp, GW4 Programme Manager. Tel: 0117 3317128