Browse/search for people
Dr Gary Barker
Dr Gary Barker
Area of research
- My main research interest is Single Nucleotide Polymorphism (SNP) discovery and gene expression analysis in hexaploid bread wheat (Triticum aestivum). This involves mining gene-based Next Generation Sequence data, derived from Nimblegen capture arrays or normalised cDNA libraries, for Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms (SNPs). These SNPs might exist between UK wheat varieties, in which case they will be of immediate interest to UK wheat breeders, but we are also developing SNP markers to track the introgression of wild relatives such as Rye into wheat germplasm, which in the long run will provide vital gene diversity to enable wheat to cope with disease and stress.
- Other interests include metagenomics, with a particular emphasis on Glacial ecosystems in collaboration with Alex Magno Anesio in the School of Geographical Science.
- I'm also curently collaborating with Donal O'Sullivan at NIAB on the discovery of genes involved in Ergot resistance in wheat.
Further information can be found on the cerealsDB home page and wheatbp.
- Cereal Genomics
- Single Nucleotide Polymorphism
- Allen, AM, Barker, GLA, Wilkinson, PA, Burridge, AJ, Winfield, MO, Coghill, JA, Uauy, C, Griffiths, S, Jack, P, Berry, S, Werner, P, Melichar, J, McDougall, J, Gwilliam, R, Robinson, P & Edwards, KJ 2013, Discovery and development of exome-based, co-dominant single nucleotide polymorphism markers in hexaploid wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Plant Biotechnology Journal, vol 11., pp. 279-295
- Evans, VC, Barker, G, Heesom, KJ, Fan, J, Bessant, C & Matthews, DA 2012, De novo derivation of proteomes from transcriptomes for transcript and protein identification. Nature Methods, vol 9., pp. 1207-11
- Yallop, ML, Anesio, AMB, Perkins, RG, Cook, J, Telling, JP, Fagan, DT, MacFarlane, JW, Stibal, M, Barker, GLA, Bellas, CM, Hodson, A, Tranter, M, Wadham, JL & Roberts, NW 2012, Photophysiology and albedo-changing potential of the ice algal community on the surface of the Greenland ice sheet. ISME Journal, vol 6., pp. 2302?2313
- Brenchley, R, Spannagl, M, Pfeifer, M, Barker, GLA, D'Amore, R, Allen, AM, McKenzie, N, Kramer, M, Kerhornou, A, Bolser, D, Kay, S, Waite, D, Trick, M, Bancroft, I, Gu, Y, Huo, N, Luo, M, Sehgal, S, Gill, B, Kianian, S, Anderson, O, Kersey, P, Dvorak, J, McCombie, WR, Hall, A, Mayer, KFX, Edwards, KJ, Bevan, MW & Hall, N 2012, Analysis of the bread wheat genome using whole-genome shotgun sequencing. Nature, vol 491., pp. 705-10
- Shihab, HA, Gough, J, Cooper, DN, Stenson, PD, Barker, GLA, Edwards, KJ, Day, INM & Gaunt, TR 2012, Predicting the functional, molecular, and phenotypic consequences of amino acid substitutions using hidden markov models. Human Mutation.
- Winfield, MO, Wilkinson, PA, Allen, AM, Barker, GLA, Coghill, JA, Burridge, AJ, Hall, A, Brenchley, R, D'Amore, R, Hall, N, Bevan, M, Richmond, T, Gerhardt, D, Jeddeloh, J & Edwards, KJ 2012, Targeted re-sequencing of the allohexaploid wheat exome.. Plant Biotechnology Journal, vol 10., pp. 733
- Wilkinson, PA, Winfield, MO, Barker, GLA, Allen, AM, Burridge, AJ, Coghill, JA & Edwards, KJ 2012, CerealsDB 2.0: an integrated resource for plant breeders and scientists. BMC Bioinformatics, vol 13.
- Hegarty, M, Batstone, T, Barker, G, Edwards, K, Abbott, R & Hiscock, S 2011, Nonadditive changes to cytosine methylation as a consequence of hybridization and genome duplication in Senecio. Molecular Ecology, vol 20(1)., pp. 105 - 113
- Zeale, MR, Butlin, R, Barker, GLA, Lees, DC & Jones, G 2011, Taxon-specific PCR for DNA barcoding arthropod prey in bat faeces. Molecular Ecology Resources, vol 11(2): 236-244., pp. 236 - 244
- Allen, A, Barker, G, Berry, T, Coghill, J, Gwilliam, R, Kirby, S, Robinson, P, Brenchley, R, Amore, R, McKenzie, N, Waite, D, Hall, A, Bevan, M, Hall, N & Edwards, K 2011, Transcript-specific, single-nucleotide polymorphism discovery and linkage analysis in hexaploid bread wheat Triticum aestivum L. Plant Biotechnology Journal, vol 9(9)., pp. 1086 - 1099
Edit this profile If you are Dr Gary Barker, you can edit this page. Login required.