Welcome to the Graduate School in Biological Sciences. The Graduate School has carefully developed a graduate training programme that follows closely the training plan recommended by the Research Councils (see Joint Research Councils’ Skills Training Requirements, PDF). Our programme covers important areas necessary to develop professional skills that are essential for early career researchers. By the end of their programme postgraduate students will be better prepared to pursue highly competitive careers in academia and other related areas.
Between the Graduate School in Biological Sciences and other departments within Bristol University, postgraduate students are offered a wide range of training in academic and transferable skills. We also encourage post-doctoral researchers to attend any components of particular interest to them.
Our programme aims to:
- strengthen and develop your research skills
- create a supportive environment where you have the opportunity to interact with other postgraduate students, post-docs and academics (e.g. round table talks, seminars, social activities)
- consider relevant research topics and develop awareness in current issues (e.g. entrepreneurship, issues of intellectual property, research ethics, health and safety)
- develop general skills that enhance aspects of your work (e.g. effective communication; relationships with supervisor or other research group members, time management)
- have the opportunity to share your research with the public (e.g. receive training in presentation skills and participate in a number of public engagement activities in the Bristol area)
- learn how to teach undergraduates (both small-group teaching and laboratory demonstrating)
- plan your future career and increase employability (e.g. career options for biologists, personal development plans)