Professor Stephen Bann
Emeritus Professor of History of Art; Senior Research Fellow
CBE, FBA, FSA, MA, PhD (Cantab)
- Museum history and theory (especially curiosity and antiquarianism)
- Historical representation in painting and other visual media
- nineteenth-century print culture (France and Britain)
- English art criticism (Hazlitt, Pater, Stokes)
- 20th century avant-garde movements
- Post-modern media and installation art
- land art and garden/landscape theory
- Distinguished Images: Prints in the Visual Economy of nineteenth-century France, Yale, New Haven and London, 2013
- Interlacing Words and Things: Bridging the Nature/Culture Opposition in Gardens and Landscape (Editor), Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection, Washington DC, 2012
- Art and the Early Photographic Album (Editor), Center for Advanced Studies in the Visual Arts, National Gallery of Art, Washington DC, 2011.
- Painting History: Delaroche and Lady Jane Grey (with Linda Whiteley), National Gallery London, 2010
- Ways around Modernism, Routledge, New York and London, 2007
- The Reception of Walter Pater in Europe (Editor), Continuum, New York and London, 2004
- Jannis Kounellis, London: Reaktion Books, 2003.
- Parallel Lines: Printmakers, Painters and Photographers in Nineteenth-Century France, Yale University Press, New Haven and London, 2001.
- Paul Delaroche: History Painted, Reaktion Books, London and Princeton University Press, 1997.
- The Sculpture of Stephen Cox, The Henry Moore Foundation with Lund Humphries, 1995.
- Romanticism and the Rise of History, Twayne's Studies in Intellectual and Cultural History, New York, 1995.
- Under the Sign: John Bargrave as Collector, Traveller and Witness, University of Michigan Press, 1994.
- The Inventions of History: Essays on the Representation of the Past, Manchester University Press and St. Martin's Press, New York, 1990.
- The True Vine: On Visual Representation and the Western Tradition, Cambridge University Press, New York and Cambridge, 1989.
- The Clothing of Clio - A Study of the Representation of History in Nineteenth-century Britain and France, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge and New York, 1984.
- Heroic Emblems (Co-author with Ian Hamilton Finlay), Z Press, Vermont, 1977.
- The Tradition of Constructivism (Editor/translator), Documents of 20th Century Series, Viking Press, New York and Thames & Hudson, London 1974. Reprinted Da Capo Press, New York, 1989.
- Russian Formalism (Editor, with Dr. J. Bowlt), Scottish Academy Press, Edinburgh and Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1972.
- Experimental Painting - Construction, Abstraction, Destruction, Reduction, Studio Vista, London and Universe Books, New York, 1970.