The University Graduate Studies Committee (UGSC) is a sub-committee of the University Education Committee.
The main purposes of the Committee are to:
Advisory (to University Education Committee):
1. To advise University Education Committee on the development of postgraduate education across the University.
2. To make recommendations to University Education Committee in relation to all national and international issues relating to the postgraduate agenda.
Decision making (on behalf of the University Education Committee):
3. To be responsible for developing and maintaining postgraduate strategy and policy.
4. To monitor and be responsible for the quality and standards of postgraduate taught and research degrees and the quality of the postgraduate student experience.
5. To coordinate all activities related to postgraduate education within academic schools, support divisions, the Bristol Doctoral College, other University committees and the Students' Union.
6. To ensure alignment of the University's postgraduate policies and procedures with UK-wide frameworks and to monitor and oversee the implementation of the relevant internal postgraduate Codes of Practice.
7. To promote innovation through the identification and dissemination of good practice.
8. To ensure that the views of members' constituents are represented on the Committee and that pertinent information is fed back to those constituents.
The membership of the Committee for 2016-17 is as follows:
The Chair (or nominee) and at least five other members of the Committee, to include three Faculty Education Directors.
1. The Committee will normally meet monthly in term-time.
2. The Committee will normally report monthly to University Education Committee
3. The Committee’s annual schedule of business will be identified at the start of each academic year. Additional items of work are subject to annual negotiation with the Chair of the University Education Committee.
The Postgraduate Researcher Development Committee reports to University Graduate Studies Committee.
University Graduate Studies Committee reports to University Education Committee so the meetings are scheduled to enable this. The scheduled dates for 2016/17 are as follows:
|Paper deadline for University Graduate Studies Committee||University Graduate Studies Committee meeting date||University Education Committee meeting date|
|Monday 26 September||Wednesday 5 October||Wednesday 19 October|
|Monday 24 October||Wednesday 2 November||Wednesday 30 November|
|Monday 5 December||Wednesday 14 December||Wednesday 18 January|
|Monday 23 January||Wednesday 1 February||Wednesday 8 March|
|Monday 13 March||Wednesday 22 March||Wednesday 5 April|
|Wednesday 12 April (due to bank holiday)||Wednesday 26 April||Wednesday 10 May|
|Monday 15 May||Wednesday 24 May||Wednesday 28 June|
The agendas and minutes of University Graduate Studies Committee meetings are available for download (UoB only).