The University Graduate Studies Committee (UGSC) is a sub-committee of the Education Committee.
The main purposes of the Committee are to:
Advisory (to Education Committee):
1. To advise Education Committee on the development of postgraduate education across the University.
2. To make recommendations to Education Committee in relation to all national and international issues relating to the postgraduate agenda.
Decision making (on behalf of the Education Committee):
3. To be responsible for developing and maintaining postgraduate strategy and policy.
4. To monitor and be responsible for the quality and standards of postgraduate taught and research degrees and the quality of the postgraduate student experience.
5. To coordinate all activities related to postgraduate education within academic schools, support divisions, the Bristol Doctoral College, other University committees and the Students' Union.
6. To ensure alignment of the University's postgraduate policies and procedures with UK-wide frameworks and to monitor and oversee the implementation of the relevant internal postgraduate Codes of Practice.
7. To promote innovation through the identification and dissemination of good practice.
8. To ensure that the views of members' constituents are represented on the Committee and that pertinent information is fed back to those constituents.
The membership of the Committee for 2015-16 is as follows:
The Chair (or nominee) and at least five other members of the Committee, to include three Faculty Education Directors.
1. The Committee will normally meet monthly in term-time.
2. The Committee will normally report monthly to Education Committee
3. The Committee’s annual schedule of business will be identified at the start of each academic year. Additional items of work are subject to annual negotiation with the Chair of the Education Committee.
The Postgraduate Researcher Development Committee reports to University Graduate Studies Committee.
University Graduate Studies Committee reports to Education Committee so the meetings are scheduled to enable this. The scheduled dates for 2015/16 are as follows:
|Paper deadline for University Graduate Studies Committee||University Graduate Studies Committee meeting date||Education Committee meeting date|
|Monday 7 September||Wednesday 16 September||Thursday 15 October|
|Monday 12 October||Wednesday 21 October||Wednesday 18 November|
|Monday 7 December||Wednesday 16 December||Thursday 14 January|
|Monday 1 February||Wednesday 10 February||Wednesday 16 March|
|Monday 29 February||Wednesday 9 March||Wednesday 20 April|
|Monday 18 April||Wednesday 27 April||Wednesday 11 May|
|Monday 23 May||Wednesday 1 June||Thursday 23 June|
The agendas and minutes of University Graduate Studies Committee meetings are available for download (UoB only).