This is the 2008-2007 News Archive - Note that this isn't heavily checked for accuracy and may contain dead links or links to the old website.
11/06/08 XC Committee Meeting
At a committee meeting on the 8th of June, much was discussed and decided upon. Notably, the issue of red shorts was settled once and for all! For the minutes of this meeting please email me.
4/06/08 - Awards 2008
Athlete of the Year: Claire Hallissey
Best Fresher: Imogen Ainsworth
Most Improved: Mike Vella & Dave Green
Best 1 off Running Performance: Steve Mitchell
Best 1 off Drinking Performance: Derek Lincoln
Most Memorable Moment: Oli Mott armwrestling in Swansea
Colonel Muff Award: Derek Lincoln
Colonel Chunder Award: Bella Ryle
Fancy Dress Award: Derek Lincoln
Post-Social Run Award: Oli Mott & Nick Young for their jaunt along the M4 at 3am.
Lifetime Achievement: Claire Hallissey
1/06/08 - New Committees
New committees for 2008/2009 have been chosen. In the world of Athletics we have:
Captain- Gustav Klingstedt
Vice-captain- Andy Harlow
Treasurer- Rebecca Klys
The Cross Country Committee will consist of:
Captain - Steve Mitchell
Vice Captain - Andy White
Treasurer - Dave Green
Secretary - Imogen Ainsworth
Social Secs - Bella Ryle & Matt Birch
Kit Sec - Nick Young
Webmaster - Mike Vella
BUSA Organiser - Heather Williams
and a few non-portfolio officers as well....
27/11/2007 - Photos from the Sodbury Slog 2007 up now!
The photos from the massive 9mile wet and muddy slog can be found here.
19/11/2007 - South West League Results Up!
The results from the South West League races can be found here.
19/10/2007 - Gwent League Results Up!
The results from the Gwent League race in Swansea can be found here.
15/10/2007 - Training Schedule
A more detailed version of the training schedule can be found here.
10/10/2007 - Chunder Mile 2007
The Chunder Mile 2007 was a great success, with record times achieved!! See the photos here and get the results here.
04/10/2007 - NEW KIT
New Kit available now! Find it here.
02/10/2007 - Updated
Social Calendar Updated! Find it here.
08/10/2007 - First Run of the Year
The first run of the year will be on the first Monday after Fresher's week. The 'advanced' 6 mile course can be found here and the shorter 3.5 mile route for beginners here. There will also be an intermediate route cutting back across the Downs earlier. This is a one-off and normally the Monday run will be the Docks Run.
07/10/2007 - First 'race' of the Season
On Sunday 7th October the club will be holding the first race of the season. This is more of an introductory/training event for anyone that is interested and will involve a run with Keith Brackstone around Bristol, most probably up to Blaise Castle and ending up at Coombe Dingle Sports Complex to be followed by a big BBQ and drinks. Highly recommended for all Fresher's.
22/9/2007 - The Great Gorilla Run
On Saturday 22nd September this year is the 'Great Gorilla Run' held in London. Since the first race in 2003, thousands of people have donned their gorilla suits and walked, run or jogged the 7km City of London route that takes in sights such as Tower Bridge and The Tate Modern. Visit their site here.
If you are at all interested e-mail me: email@example.com and I will put a list together.
8/7/07 - TrailBlaiser
The TrailBlaiser Race held at Blaise Castle (Bristol) is held this summer on Sunday 8th July. Entry form available here.
18/6/07 - AU Dinner
This year's AU dinner was a great success, with fun had by all and farewales made to old members of the club!
Awards were given to:
Reds: Tom Russell and Richard Williams
Role of Honour: Keith Brackstone
Full Colours: Claire Willer, Sarah Mackness, Stephen Mitchell
Half Colours: Mike Vella, Heather Williams, Ian Cleaver
14/5/07 - Park Street Challenge raises over £1,400 for Tusk!
On Saturday 12th May the club took it in shifts to run a 12 hour relay up and down (and some in Gorilla suits) to raise money for Tusk! This was our most successfull year, and even features in the Evening Post! See the gallery below!
Park Street Challenge 2007
10/5/07 - Award Winners 2007
UBCCC athlete: Tom Russell
Fresher: Steve Mitchell
Most improved: Mike Vella
Prefontaine one off performance: Heather Williams
Bedford one off drinking performance: Oli Mott
Colonel award: Rich Williams/Oli Mott
Chunder award: Ally McColl
Fancy dress: Ally McColl
Lifetime achievement: Rich Williams
10/5/07 - Things to do this year:
• Join the Gwent Cross Country league, fixtures in October, November, December, February and March.
• Have at least 1 committee member taking each run, to be announced in the weekly email
• Have weekly training on website along with a lot of maps of runs
• Have website sorted before A level results out.
• Social run on a Friday afternoon/evening meet at someones house, eg. Mine, claire’s and then have cake afterwards!
• Work out how to cater for all our members – have runs just on the Downs for beginners maybe? Have 1 or 2 beginners sessions a week where we just jog round the Downs with them? Could possibly be led by freshers after a few weeks?
• Book room in sports centre for introduction before first run on Monday.
• Have first Monday run round Downs, may be better for that many people to run through Clifton. (done in my first year)
• Buy a minibus. Around £6000 second hand. Get £3000 capital grant, possibly get it sportmatched, alumni foundation, big sponsor, fundraising.
• Regular committee meetings, once a fortnight.
• At end of 1st teaching week (check when Fresher’s Ball is) have training weekend in South Wales to encourage team bonding at start of year
• Training week in January in New Forest, Hampshire.
• Sort out big sponsor for XC club and Half Marathon; possibly Asics.
• Revive curry club?
• Budget for the whole year over the summer, will probably need a lot of money for BUSA if in Belfast.
• Freebies for Fresh
• Sort out minibus drivers, the more we have the less everyone has to drive!
• Conditioning sessions with athletics, make this part of the xc schedule
• Work out how to integrate membership of XC and Athletics – talk to Tom Noble about this.
• Keep going to B&W sessions.
• Maybe change the timing on the Wednesday run to make it more popular – perhaps earlier eg. 1.15 or half one.