BRISTOL RECORD SOCIETY


Home

Publications

Membership

Contacts

Links

Webmaster

Updated:
1 Aug 2020

Valid XHTML 1.0!

Welcome

The Bristol Record Society is devoted to the study and publication of the historic records of the City and County of Bristol. Since its foundation in 1929 it has published over seventy major volumes. These are an indispensable aid to all with a serious interest in the study of any aspects of Bristol History and form an invaluable and readily accessible collection of source material. All the volumes, together with their informative introductions, are products of the freely given work of scholars, each of whom is an expert in the chosen topic.

Since 2015 the BRS has also been engaged in an extensive programme of digitisation and e-publication of works relating to Bristol history. All our volumes are now available online on the Publications page, three years after their publication in print. Over a hundred other other scholarly works, including records volumes, pamphlets and research monographs, have been digitised and e-published since 2019. These can be found on the Links page.

For more information about our formal aims and organisation, please see our Constitution.

Donations

The Record Society is a charity and a voluntary group, which operates through the freely-given services of its officers, trustees and editors. We invite all our members to share in this liberality, in one of three ways.

         A general donation to the society. Click to download a donation form.

         A donation to our Digitisation Initiative. Click to download a donation form.

         A bequest. Click to download a draft codicil to your will.

Past donors include: Derek Bond, Margaret McGregor, Monica Parkin and John Rhodes, as well as others who have asked to remain anonymous.

Illustrated here is the City Badge, granted on 16 February 1983. The design of the badge is based on the City's ancient Coat of Arms which has its origins in the 13th century burgesses' seal. The earliest record of the adoption of the ship and castle theme as the official arms is in the three illuminated charters of 1373. The use of the Coat of Arms is, strictly speaking, confined to the City Council which obtained the grant of the City Badge in 1983 for use, with official permission, by institutions associated with the City.

 


Home  |  Publications  |  Membership  | Contacts  | Links